Monday, September 12, 2011

Cape Chick Weekend V

This year's Chicks


My friends and I all look forward to Chick Weekend each year.  This year was another resounding success:  good friends, sunny weather, interesting things to do, entertaining conversation and games, yummy food and wine.  And bread (more on that, later). Oh, yeah.

Many of us take an extra day or two off from work and make a mini-vacation of it.  It's good stuff.








Chick Weekend coincides with the Eastham Windmill Weekend.  Sometimes we go to lots of the events.  This year some of us attended the car show, the craft show and the sand sculpture contest and skipped the rest.  We spent much of our time hanging out in the sun and walking the beach.



The antique cars were fun.  I especially liked a 1929 Model T that had only had two owners and had been in use continuously since it was first bought.  I believe the placard said it had a paint job and had been reupholstered, but no other major work done in all that time.  Doesn't it look fantastic?









Later in the afternoon we went to the sand sculpture contest.  There were some really neat entries (click on the photo for a larger version).  I'm split between the Tolkien-esk tower or the whimsical dog in the boat looking to play with the seals as my favorite.  I loved the seal faces!  There were a lot of amazing creations.  The "I love Eastham" sand art made me laugh.  Several entries were focused on the 50th anniversary of the Cape Cod National Seashore.

Sunday we spent lots of time playing on the beach:  just walking on the shore, beach-combing for sea glass and shells or wading between the flats catching hermit crabs.  My attempt at catching minnows succeeded only in soaking myself, much to everyone's amusement.  It's always much harder to catch them when the tide is going out.  I was vindicated this morning when I successfully caught one with my hands.  I have witnesses!

The weekend went by so fast!  The last of my friends headed out today.  A good time was had by all, and I look forward to do it all again next year. 

The bread!  There's a French restaurant in Wellfleet,  PB Boulangerie Bistro, that often has a line out the door for it's baked goods.  I'm going back for another loaf or two on Wednesday.  And another chocolate croissant.  Now that I've had a taste of a bunch of different loaves, it's going to be so hard to choose!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************