Thursday, September 19, 2013

Bike to Brewster

The Brewster Mill and Herring Run
I bring my bicycle down to the Cape every Chick Weekend, to ride the Cape Cod Rail Trail when everyone else has gone.  I used to ride up and down Eastham and Orleans (and Wellfleet, once they completed that section) during the summers I lived on the Cape.

One thing I've been wanting to do for years is to bike to the Brewster Grist Mill.  I fondly remember visiting it as a kid, during my aunts' "Upper Class Tour of the Lower Cape" adventures. My usual rides are no longer than 15-20 miles and according to the map, this was over 27 miles round trip.  But this year, I was determined to make it (and I can hear all of my PMC friends laughing at this - only 27 miles?!?).

I pedaled into a headwind (which made for an easier ride home!), took one wrong turn but eventually made it to my destination.  The mill, mill pond and herring run doesn't cover a lot of area, but it's pretty and relaxing, even on an overcast day.  The mill was closed for the season, so I couldn't go in, though I could peek in the windows.  Besides, it's more fun to walk the grounds and I had the whole place to myself.  I love the sound of running water and everything was so wonderfully green.  Now that I know I can get here, I'll have to do it again next year.


1 comment :

  1. What a gorgeous place! Must have made for quite a scenic bike ride.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************