|They started out the same color|
I decided to dye the capris a few shades darker with tea, to see if it would hide the stain. Goodness knows I'm aware that tea stains, but I was amazed at how few tea bags can change color on a whole piece of clothing. The shorts and the capris were originally the same color.
I followed the directions I found on creativebug. It seemed like so little liquid for the amount of material to dye. I figured the capris were no more than a yard of fabric, which called for four cups of water. I cooked up six cups of water, which still didn't seem like enough to cover the capris, but it worked. The dye took evenly across the fabric. Unfortunately, it took even better to the stained area. Instead of a medium orange spot on beige pants, I ended up with a black spot on brown pants. Ugh.
As far as I'm concerned, the experiment was a success. I will be curious how well the color hold up to multiple washings. I was still getting weak tea after several rinses. And now I'll go forward with my original idea to fix the stain - lop off part of the leg and make them into a pair of shorts.