Saturday, December 20, 2014

Squares and Herringbone

I finished the first of three pillow covers I wanted to make for myself.  My other throw pillows are in desperate need of an update.  I've had the patterns picked out for months and now this is back on top of my projects list.

I don't recall how I stumbled across this first pattern (scroll down a bit).  I'm guessing I found it googling scrappy blocks.  Regardless, I bookmarked to use for one of my pillows.  My blocks are 5" finished, without the white sashing.  I used up some of my string stash.  There's more piecing than it looks, but once I figured out the order to do things, it came together really quickly.

The second pattern I found on the Quilter's Blog Festival from last spring.  It linked to this tutorial.  The instructions were very clear, but I had a hard time getting a feel for the pattern.  I had nearly completed the first strip before I got the hang of it.  Talk about sewing calisthenics!  Sew.  Iron.  Cut.  Piece.  Repeat.  Ironing board (where I also set up my cutting mat) is in the living room; sewing machine is in the dining room.

I may be daring and work on the next two strips at the same time, just to try and speed things along.  I plan to do four three-strip blocks.  I haven't picked out the other colors yet.  It will be interesting to see how it comes out!


1 comment :

  1. These will be very nice pillows. I really like that improv herringbone. I followed your link, and it took me to Amy's 13 Spools! - one of the blogs I follow.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).

Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...