|Modified neoprene soles and socks|
First, I cut off the heel straps and stitched them onto a pair of neoprene half-sole shoes. The neoprene soles are very comfortable, but never stay on my feet. It became such a problem I stopped using them several months ago. I am hoping the straps will keep them in place. I'll get to try out the new design on Friday.
Next, I separated the bottom piece of leather from what remained of the sandasols. I stitched these onto the bottoms of a pair of ragg wool socks I wear around the house all the time. My last pair fell apart faster than I could darn them. This solution doesn't help the wear on the heels, but it tends to be the ball of my foot that pokes through first. Added bonus - they're not quite as slippery on the hard wood floors.
I'm not sure if this is upcycling or just plain recycling. Regardless, I got two fixes out of one pair of sandasols. I'll call it a win.