Antia's Arrowhead that didn't go with the rest of the set. I put them aside and decided to make mug rugs with them.
The squares were perfect to practice freemotion quilting. I tried new patterns and focused on filling in specific areas of the block. I have a terrible time quilting up next to borders. I picked a leafy design for the purple one. It's not terribly even, but it wasn't too difficult to do.
I chose the dizzy daisy for the blue one. I have a thing for spirals. I practiced filling in along borders for this one, too, working one quarter of the block at a time. I probably shouldn't have done that with this pattern, and just meandered across the whole square. I think it needed more space to do it justice. I will definitely try dizzy daisy again on a larger piece and remind myself to spread out.
I enjoy making mug rugs, but when I finished my first one last year, I wondered how useful it really was. The coasters I have worked fine. Then I threw it on the corner of my desk. It is constantly occupied by my tea mug, often with a snack or cereal bowl keeping it company. I'm glad to have new mug rugs so I can rotate.