Monday, July 6, 2015

Strings and Scraps

While my summer quilt is on hold, I started working on some other projects.  My collection of scraps and strings have been growing and I'm looking to put a dent in it.  First is a sting project.  I've never done an equilateral triangle quilt - we'll see how it goes!  I have also never used selvage strings before.  So this project has two new elements in it.  I'm skimpy cutting off the selvage edge of my fabric; I may have to start cutting a wider edge if I want to make more of these.  By the time I stitch on the next color, I've hidden all of the pattern.  But I like the way they're looking so far.

The foundation material was part of the Key West stash my mother gave me.  It was a plain lining material from a dress in the collection.  Everything had been kept in a trunk in my parent's basement, packed with mothballs.  Each time I iron the triangles, I can smell that trunk - and makes me think of my mother and grandmother.  I know plenty of people who would wrinkle their nose at that scent, but it makes me smile as I iron each piece.

The other project has started with sewing together all of my scraps and crumbs into ever increasingly larger blocks.  I have an idea of what I'll do with them.  In the meantime, I keep sewing them together.  I've enjoyed this more than I thought.  There's something satisfying putting these together.  I've gone through a ton of thread so far!  At this rate I'll need to stock up soon.


4 comments :

  1. I know what you mean about the scent. Both my father and grandmother were heavy smokers, so many fabrics that came from my mother's stash retain that scent. Yes, it's not a pleasant smell, but it brings back so many pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally! What a fun way to use scraps and selvages - The quilt is going to be terrific!
    The scent of mothballs brings back memories of exploring the attic for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same experience when I come across a scrap from my grandmother. Thanks for sharing your great projects with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************