Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Fabric Coil Bowl

I spent Sunday morning making this bowl.  Which wasn't the sewing I had planned to do.  Or needed to do.  But it's what happened.  Once I started, I couldn't stop.

I followed a tutorial I found on CraftStylish.  My goal is to use up all the old fabric I found in my sewing dresser.  One piece down - about a dozen left to go.  Yay?

Not bad for a first attempt.  The rayon frayed a lot.  I did some research and am in the process of making a second one which is not looking so frayed.  It didn't take long to get the hang of wrapping the cord.  Sewing went quickly, wrapping was slow.  I think it took a couple of hours to make this bowl (not counting cutting the fabric).  It was addicting - I couldn't stop the first one until I finished.  I paused work on the second only because I started late in the day.

I plan to make a couple more.  I think that should burn through my old rayon and old lining material.  I'll need more clothesline; I'm nearly through the 100 feet that I bought.  Then, of course, I'll need to figure out what to do with the final products.  Bowls, anyone?

Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.



3 comments :

  1. Hi! I love the bowl! What are the dimensions and how much are they?
    I would like to buy a couple.
    Thanks!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is about 4.5" tall, about 6.5" diameter at the top. I've made two more, they're all different sizes and colors. I haven't thought about pricing yet - but I'll be in touch once I figure that out.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful bowl, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************