Monday, March 21, 2016
I centered the colored strips to the middle of the block, not including it's outside sash. That was the plan. I also plan to bind it in blue, because I didn't want a hard grey edge around the whole quilt. The idea was to have the edge fade away, so your eye was drawn to the middle of the quilt. (Plus - I'm out of the grey and fear that I won't get an exact match from another bolt.)
But now that I've sewn the first side together it looks a lopsided, like I couldn't figure out where the center was. Nope. I did this on purpose. That part of me says "stick with it." On the other hand, if I just move the colored strip down a half inch, it would be centered on the blue itself (well, minus the binding). I would have to rip apart and fix the one corner I've sewn together, but I happened to cut the rest of the corner pieces with enough extra to handle the adjustment.
I have to make my mind up before I cut any more blue or sew any more corners. I suspect, in the end, I will stick with the way it is now. Maybe I should throw it on the table and see how it hangs. I was hoping to have this done for Easter, but I'll need to commit to a plan of action soon if I have any chance of that!