Tuesday, March 1, 2016
I had asked a friend of mine if she'd like a knitting needle case. She told me a knitting project bag would be more helpful: a bag about this big (held up her hands) with a zipper. Not what I had had envisioned, so I was glad I asked!
I googled around for zippered pouches about "this" big and got some ideas of what I wanted to do. I also found this tutorial, which was very helpful in putting it all together.
I have started work in my vintage Key West quilt and decided the smaller pieces of fabric would be great for the pouch. The grey fabric is from Parrot Plumes. I thought it looked terrific against the hot pink.
I stitched the outside fabric to the batting with a mix of stitch-in-the-ditch and freemotion. It's silly, because most of the freemotion is on the bottom where it can't be seen. Oh, well, I got practice.
Added bonus: the pink rayon thread quilted beautifully. It had frayed and snapped on the last three projects I tried to quilt. I don't know why I decided to try again. It seems the fault wasn't with the thread; recent adjustments to my sewing machine did the trick. I had given up on using anything other than standard thread, but now I may have to look at the pretty stuff again.
I had stitched it all the side seams and was ready to turn it right side out when I discovered I overlooked the very important instruction in the tutorial: leave the zipper open before stitching the sides and bottom. Can't turn it inside out with it closed! I struggled with it several minutes inching the zipper open through the fabric and batting. Whew! I hated the idea of ripping out any of that good stitching.
Sharing with Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.