Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Parrot Plumes - Blogger's Quilt Festival

This year's Blogger's Quilt Festival snuck up on me!  It's a month earlier than in prior years and I had to scramble to find stuff I wanted to show.  (I'm still focused on guinea pigs and Pignics right now.)

Parrot Plumes is my entry for the Small Quilts category.  I fell in love with the feathers from an earlier Blogger's Quilt Festival, tracked down the pattern and saved it as a future project.  Inspiration hit when my vet started a practice on her own.  She specializes in birds and I know she has a soft spot for African Greys and Macaws.  I had pattern and colors - time to sew!


This was the first quilt I did with a lot of white space.  I'm still learning free motion techniques on my old Singer, but this quilt demanded something special.  I found this pattern online, on another feather quilt.  I fell in love.  I hated pebbles, had broken two needles my prior attempt at swirls, but I had to try this.  Boy, was it worth it!


The original post is here (with more photos if you're interested).

Usually my most recently completed quilt is my favorite.  I've done a few since this one and this still ranks at the top of the list.


Blogger's Quilt Festival Stats
Quilt Measurement:  39" x 19.5"
Technique:  machine pieced; quilted with walking foot and free motion on my Singer Graduate 714
Category:  Small Quilts


AmysCreativeSide.com

Be sure to check out the other great quilts at the Blogger's Quilt Festival!


16 comments :

  1. The quilting on this is just gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this one - it's beautiful. The feathers catch the eye, then the quilted background pattern draws you in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! The quilting is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you colored the feathers to match your vet's interests. The quilting in the background is such a lovely way to show them off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lines of the plums and the curves of the quilting, the wind could play with the plums!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sally this is gorgeous - and I love the quilting!! I am making a feather quilt at the moment for my daughter and not sure how to quilt it ..... must remember how you've done yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done! What a great gift for your vet. The quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilting on this quilt is just fabulous! It gives the quilt so much texture and movement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! Great quilting choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! I see why this is your favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simple design, yet so effective. and the quilting really adds depth and dynamism to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice!!! The quilting is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************