Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Stained Kites - Blogger's Quilt Festival

I am entering Stained Kites for the Home Machine Quilted category in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

If I had just been patient about showing off Stained Kites, I would have waited until now to post it.  But I was too excited to share (plus I forgot that the festival was this week).  So I'll just have to show it off twice this month.

After I completed Shattered Kites last year, I thought it would look amazing with a black background, like stained glass.  I began playing with fabric this spring and stitched it up over the summer.  After I squared the quilt I decided it needed black borders and a flange binding.  I really like the little edge of color (it pops more in person than it does in the photos).

It's quilted in a mix of walking foot over the black and free motion in each of the kites.  I tried a bunch of new designs I had never quilted before, which was so much fun.  Spent lots of time doodling and surfing the web for ideas.  There's a few kites with the same pattern, but most of them are unique.  (There are close up photos of the quilting on the original post here.)

The quilt has been promised to a fund raising event.  I hope it will be popular.  For now it hangs in my sewing room - I get to admire it in person for another month or so before I give it away.


I love how the quilting looks on the back.  The dense patterns show up nicely.


Blogger's Quilt Festival Stats
Quilt Measurement:  26" x 41.5"
Technique:  machine pieced; quilted with walking foot and free motion on my Singer Graduate 714
Category:  Home Machine Quilted Quilts


Be sure to check out the other great quilts at the Blogger's Quilt Festival!

AmysCreativeSide.com

11 comments :

  1. I really like the combination of walking foot and free motion quilting. The pattern is perfect for trying out different designs and looks so striking on the front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love this entry, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whu not show this beauty off twice? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you played with the pattern, on both sides!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so beautiful! I love pairing bright colours with black, and the flange binding is a great choice. That extra pop of colour on the edge is perfect. I like that you used different fmq designs in the kites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sally, this is a beautiful quilt. I would call if doubled-sided with the blocks on the back and the beautiful quilting showing through. Well done!

    Your little guinea pigs in your header photo are adorable!

    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love black and colors! Beautiful quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the black background, it really does pop those bright colors. It should be a very popular quilt at the auction. Hope it does really well.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************