Early this year I made baskets, bowls and drawstring bags to purge an odd assortment of clothing and home decor fabric. (To make room for more quilting fabric, of course.) I successfully whittled it down to a fistful of fabric. I stumbled across that fistful the other day and thought: this needs to go.
Some of the fabric was already cut into strips for clothesline bowls; I figured I'd make some more. The scraps were all different weights and textures, so I wasn't sure if they'd work together. The pieces were too small or unsuitable for my quilts. It was bowls or bust.
The second was a truly scrappy bowl: corduroy, lightweight lining fabric, rayon, a wee bit of cotton. All dark colors, so they kind of went together. The uneven material was challenging to sew since it wouldn't feed evenly through the machine. It was worth the challenge - I really love the result.
I pooled together the remaining blue fabric for the last bowl: some gabardine, flannel backed satin and really cheap cotton fabric (I liked the color but couldn't bear to sew it into a quilt - it's gawdawful stuff). Quite the combo! My machine rebelled stitching this one. I'm sure it was the humidity, but it may have been reacting to that cotton.... The result is quite pretty. I like the contrasting textures - shiny and smooth with matte and rough.
That's it for zig-zag stitching for a while. Time for another round of crumb hexies as I start planning my next quilt.