Monday, September 18, 2017

Boston Fall Pignic 2017

The day of the pignic started foggy and cool.  But we trusted the weather forecast and headed out with Boadicea and Wedgwood.  Turned out to be a great day for a pignic.  A little humid, but comfortable. 

I had strongly considered leaving Boadi at home since she's not feeling well.  But she and Wedg had been traveling well, I thought an afternoon of fresh air and grass wouldn't do her any harm.  That little pig hit the ground eating; I think she enjoyed the day thoroughly.  Boadi would come over every time I approached the cage and I saw her flirting with other attendees. 



I decided to give Wedgwood a try in the common pen.  She proved to be as much trouble as almost every sow I've owned:  within five minutes of being in the pen she had taken over a pigloo, ate all the treats near her and was chattering/lunging at any sow that came near her, the pigloo or the treats.  So back in with Boadi she went!  Wedg spent the majority of the pignic cuddled up in her cozy, which is one of her favorite places to be.

We had a good showing of thirty-nine pigs evenly split between sows and boars.  There were several more people than pigs.  One family outing had been researched and planned by the guinea pigs' young caretakers with the parents along for the ride.  Excellent!  And one poor boar arrived very late to the pignic, having been indoors when his owner discovered she had locked herself out of the house.


It was thoroughly impressive how many costumes there were.  I'd say half the guinea pigs at the pignic lined up for the parade.  Caterpillars and carrots, a bee, a witch, Santa, a unicorn.  I saw Wonder Woman, a  turkey, a skeleton and some royalty.  I think one was a pink pig.  Baci looks less then impressed with her tutu.  Or maybe she disapproved of all the jostling.  Oh!  There was a racehorse, too, including his own jockey. 

My favorites were on the end.  One was a jailbird, complete with jail, wanted poster and the bags of loot he'd been caught with.  I heard he had just broken into his brother's cage that morning, so obviously he was an expert of getting in and out of jail.  The other was the French artist in his little beret, complete with an Eiffel Tower backdrop and his current painting on an easel.  What fun!  I loved that so many people joined in.  Every costumed piggy went home with a new cozy for their efforts. 

Pig Patrol (and Pig Patrol in training)
I managed a few photos.  Not many of the overall pignic, but lots of the costume parade.  You can find them in the Fall Pignic album.

Once again, the pignic couldn't happen without the Pig Patrol.  There's lots to do inspecting pigs, clipping nails, keeping an eye on the pens, breaking up guinea pig disputes, directing people, welcoming newcomers and answering questions.  Thank you all for helping out!


4 comments :

  1. I clicked and looked at all your pictures - twice! Those costumes are so imaginative :) Glad you had good weather and a nice time was had by all. This event must be a really special day for pigs and owners alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skinny pig is so adorable! Also, the tri-color getting weighed! Serious danger of pignapping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a lot of fun! Glad a lot of pigs were able to bring their humans. Those cozies are one of my fave things. I can definitely see getting into one to watch the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you all had a lovely day. TBH dressing guinea pigs (or any animal) up is not something I like, but I think it's great to spread the word about caring for piggies and what amazing pets they make. The opportunity to get a health check from another person is very valuable, they may spot something you (ie any owner) missed, however thorough you are :) xx

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************