Friday, October 20, 2017

Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

I really like oatmeal cookies and bars - I think it's the texture.  I first made these bars late last year.  I was drawn to them because the chocolate layer wasn't made with sweetened condensed milk.  And yet, look at that fudgey center!  The original recipe had more chocolate than oatmeal and they were really thick.  So my version uses a different pan and <gasp!> reduces some of the chocolate layer.  I know!  How could I even contemplate doing that?!?!  So feel free to ignore my recipe and head right over to the original.

But I wasn't done with my tinkering.  Since I cut out some sugar, I wanted to boost the flavor.  I added some cinnamon and coffee to it.  I used salted butter, so I skipped adding any to the recipe and opted for sprinkling a little sea salt on top just before baking.  My bars ended up with a soft mocha center and a crisp crumbly cinnamon-y crust and topping.  Not bad.  I like it.  Maybe you will, too.

Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
(Adapted from The Cutting Edge of Ordinary)

1⅓ cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
¾ cup brown sugar
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
10 Tbls butter, melted

¼ cup flour
1⅓ cup chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 Tbls butter
1 tsp instant coffee
sea salt

Preheat oven to 325° F.  Line a 7x10" brownie pan with parchment paper.

Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl, add the melted butter and stir to combine.  Press half of mixture firmly into the pan and bake about 8 minutes.  Cool.

While the crust is baking, melt the butter and chocolate chips together until just melted; stir until smooth.  Whisk eggs into cooled chocolate mixture, then add the instant coffee and stir in flour.

Pour chocolate filling over crust and top with remaining oatmeal mixture (you may want to press it in slightly - my topping was rather crumbly).  Sprinkle with a little sea salt.  Bake 30 to 35 minutes.  Cool completely before cutting into bars.

5 comments :

  1. Delicious!!!! Have a great weekend, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really tasty, I might give the recipe a try minus the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your oatmeal chocolate bars look delicious, Sally. Love the look of that fudgey centre; my mouth is watering. Recipes you add to along the way always seem to taste rather delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, these look really tempting and although I dislike cooking I´m saving your recipe to try when I do some Christmas baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate and Oatmeal - two of my loves. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************