Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

String Backpack


As I was making my new dance bag, I realized how shabby my little string backpack was.  It was some freebee from Rob's work years ago that happened to be a really useful size.  I've used it a lot over the years.  It's faded, dirty and is starting to develop a few holes.  Time to replace it!  

I dug through my orphaned blocks for inspiration and discovered a handful of blue and green four-patches that I don't even remember putting together.  Must have been some experiment that failed to launch.  There were enough pieces to make the bag with two four-patches left over.  Perfect.

The pieced sides by themselves could easily pull apart so I backed them with some fabric and ran some wavy lines of stitching over them to hold them all together.  Then I stitched the sides and the bottom and rolled over a sleeve on top for the string.  I bound the inside seams so there were no raw edges.

 


Cool!  

I pulled the clothesline from the old bag to use on the new one.  It's a bit worn but still has lots of life in it.  The rest of the old bag will go into fabric recycling.  

I love how it looks.  It will get lots of use!

 

Sharing with:
Melva Loves Scraps - Sew & Tell
Quilting & Learning - What a Combo! - I Quilted This
A Quiltery - Put Your Foot Down Thursday
Alycia Quilts - Finished or Not Friday
Nina-Marie - Off the Wall Friday
Quilting Patchwork Applique - Patchwork & Quilts


2 comments:

  1. That's a great way to use up some orphan blocks, Sally! And it's pretty in the blues and greens. This looks really sturdy and should stand up to lots of use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well... you had me at cavies! but i am enjoying your creative posts!! thank you for the fun ideas

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************