Thursday, July 2, 2015

Flying Leaps

Floor time is fun.  But the best floor time is when I clean the cage.  Boadicea loves to come over and check out the upper levels as I pull the cage apart.  Cannoli usually hangs behind.  But this time, Noli led the charge to check out the upper levels.  They were pretty funny, burbling all up and around the levels.

Boadicea bailed first:

She's hard to see with that white butt against the light background.  Cannoli almost appears to be surprised by Boadi's departure.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015


I finished the blue-green blocks this weekend.  Huzzah!  Turns out I did buy enough of the green and counted my pieces correctly.  I'm so glad.

I'm loving the blocks.  But now that they're together, I'm really not liking the tan for the setting blocks.  It had been a spur of the moment decision to swap out the original design of light blue and tan.  I like the pebbly/sandy texture, but I didn't realized it would become the predominant color on the quilt (which is pretty silly, considering how many yards I bought). 

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Cuddled Up

Boadicea loves her cuddle cups.  Plus she is so good at striking poses.  There's feetsies hanging out!  And there's a nose that's hiding.

Yup.  She's pretty cute.  She knows it, too.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Blue-Green Blocks

While I am still wishy-washy over some of my quilt colors, I figured I could at least start on the pieces that I'm sure of.  My points aren't perfect, but I think these blocks look great.

I finished cutting all the green pieces.  In classic Sally style, I managed to buy just enough material.  I had a 2.5" strip left plus a few odd scraps as I cut the very last piece.  I really need to learn to pad my numbers more.  I hope I counted all of the pieces correctly, or I am in big trouble!  At least I know I have plenty of blues and the cream.  I plan to stitch up the rest of these blocks this weekend and proceed from there.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Same Vet, New Clinic

top: pre-checkup jitters
bottom:  traumatized pigs want to go home!
Cannoli has been a bit on the porky side, having gained a lot when Pinniped was really sick.  She also occasionally sneezes, which tends to be rare with guinea pigs, but not for Noli.  Recently she lost some weight and then began wheezing every so often.  Given her history, I wasn't too alarmed, but it was time for a professional opinion.  So I scheduled a trip to the vet.  Either we could address what was wrong or confirm Noli was okay.  Boadicea got an appointment as well, mostly for a baseline checkup and a quick feel for ovarian cysts.

My vet has moved.  She now has her own practice at Holmes Family Veterinary Clinic.  I'm so happy Dr. Holmes is still in the area.  I had been by the clinic before, but this was our first official visit.  Both pigs were well behaved.  I was amazed.  I had braced myself for Boadi to "apply teeth" in response to a lot of manhandling.  She doesn't bite - but she'll touch you with her teeth when she's had enough.  Turns out Boadicea was a charmer and was pleasant to everyone (being wrapped up like a burrito helped).  Noli wasn't bad, but she struggled.  She wanted none of this!  Cannoli is surprisingly strong for a little rodent.

Both pigs got a clean bill of health.  Cannoli's lungs were clear and her heart sounded good.  She's a little under the weight she was in early 2014, which is a good weight for her.  If she manages to drop another 50g, I'm to bring her in again.  As for the random wheezing, we discussed allergens and the dry, dusty spring we've had.  Maybe it will improve once I start using the A/C on a regular basis (or maybe after we have some more rain). 

Turns out Noli is more of a candidate for cysts than Boadi is.  Yay me - I can look forward to two hormonal pigs in my future.  Meanwhile, Noli and Boadi are happy to be home and hope there will be no more road trips for a while.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Caught in Irons

This is how my living room floor has looked for nearly two weeks.  Granted - there was a pignic and other interruptions.  But it's mostly been sitting there because I can't make up my mind on the pattern and if I like the colors.  Once I decide, I'm sure things will progress quickly.  But for now, I'm caught in irons.

This quilt is coming out much more green and beige than I envisioned.  A lighter beige would be fine, but I really wanted more blue.  Yesterday I threw the fabrics on the bed, to get a better feel for what it would really look like.

In an effort go regain some momentum, I've decided to start sewing together the medallions.  I keep coming back to my original design of mostly blue, with the four cream squares on the sides.  So I'm going with that and sewing at least three of them together.  If I have those done, I'll have less of the overall quilt that I have to imagine, and it should help with my decisions.  I want to be working on this.  At this rate my summer quilt will be done in the fall!

Friday, June 19, 2015

Cavy Sticker Giveaway

At the end of the Boston Spring Pignic, there were two extra cavy bumper stickers left over.  So a couple of non-pignic goers can enjoy a prize!  I am giving away these two cavy bumper stickers as seen on CavyMadness

To enter:  leave a comment here (if you're a no-reply blogger, please include your email address in the comment) or on the CavyMadness Facebook post.  I will pick two winners at random - one from the blog, the other from the CavyMadness page.  Commenting here and on Facebook will increases your chance to win.

Be sure that I can contact you!  CavyMadness cannot send a direct private message to Facebook comments.  Check back after 12pm on June 26th - I will reply to the winner's comments if I cannot email them directly.  If a winner does not respond within 24 hours, I will randomly draw another name.

This drawing closes on Friday, June 26th at 12pm DST.  Congrats to Jessica and Brooke!