Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Big Floppy Sun Hat

I saw a sun hat made of strips of fabric.  I loved it!  The concept seemed so simple, like a coil rope bowl.  I wish I had taken a photo of it (I may have at the time, but if I did, I accidentally deleted it).  It seemed so obvious that I thought I could find some tutorials or examples online.  Nothing.  The closest one was a tutorial that twisted fabric, but nothing that showed a flat, shiplapped design.  I did some random research, tried to remember as much as I could about the hat, and struck out on my own (no surprise to my regular readers).

I recall the original hat having raw edges, but I wanted finished edges.  Bias tape seemed the way to go.  I waffled on width for a while, but decided a ⅜" width was as wide as I could go and be able to curve it without too much gathering.  I started with 1½-inch strips sewn together, then ran them through my bias tape maker until I ended up with a double-folded strip.  Cleaned out a lot of my leftover string fabric!


Then came the experimentation.  I'm pretty sure what amazed me with the original hat was that it wasn't zig-zag stitched (although it might have been with a narrow stitch).  I wanted to straight-stitch the bias strips to each other, with each new layer straddling the prior row.  (After I finished it all, I wondered if one of my old Singer attachments would have helped me with this.)  The idea was that the hat would be reversible with the same finish on both sides. 


My first attempt started as a normal coil bowl, but that ended rather rapidly because the fabric kept bunching up attempting to do such a small, tight circle.  I decided it needed a larger circle to ease out the curves.  That worked better, but I still couldn't seem to keep the pieces together.  Since I was stitching so close to the edge, the outside fabric would slip sometimes, and I'd end up simply stitching the bias tape closed instead of to the prior row.  I ripped out my work and put the hat aside for other projects.

When I picked it up again last week everything went smoother.  I had spooled up the bias tape tightly before I put it away, and I think that prevented the tape rolling as I stitched it.  Whatever.  I had a lot fewer stop-rip-starts than my first attempt. 

The hat is a little shallower than I anticipated.  Once I started sewing it kind of took on a life of its own.  I'm getting hat pins to hold it in place.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to add some kind of straps. 

Rob calls it my goofy floppy hat.  But even when it was only halfway done, he correctly identified it as a hat - so I must have been doing something right!  I do have to admit, it's pretty silly.  But I love it.  We'll see if I still love it when I put it to use.  

Sharing with:
Quilt Schmilt - To Do Tuesday
QuiltFabrication - Midweek Makers
A Quiltery - Put Your Foot Down Thursday
Alycia Quilts - Finished or Not Friday
Nina-Marie - Off the Wall Friday
My Quilt Infatuation - Needle & Thread Thursday
Quilting Patchwork Applique - Patchwork & Quilts


 

 

12 comments :

  1. It came out great! I would have no idea what to do if I didn't have directions. I've made rugs from 2.5" strips but I had directions to follow. You do so well all on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great hat, Sally! I can see where you could start with the idea of a rope bowl shape and then keep going bigger to get the brim. Pretty and colorful, too! Fun project. (I had to delete my previous comment because I hit publish before I meant to and there was a massive spelling error! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you think about and then tackle these creative projects. And the hat looks great - I don't think it's silly at all! It's cheerful and functional - I wear wide hats outdoors every day unless it's raining, and sometimes even then. Mine are pretty ordinary though, compared to your colorful stripy hat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look super cute in your new hat, Sally!!! You are very daring and creative to just wing it on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love a silly floppy hat! And, I do love using up scraps! So, it's a win win! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hat looks great. Good for you for not giving up when you couldn't find an exact pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your commitment was worth it. What a fabulous sun hat. Floppy and flexible in all the right ways. Excellent for shading the eyes and keeping the sun from scorching your neck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful hat! Well done making it from a souvenir, and inventing every step! It looks really great, and you too! Thank you for sharing 😊👒

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea.
    Such a nice big sun hat... I like the variety of colors. Stitched great.
    I'm also currently in the process of sewing one or two :-) hats... when I'm finished I'll post them on the blog. Kind regards to you. It was a great pleasure for me to admire your hat.
    Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love that hat!! Great work and so creative! Now, could I do that with my jelly roll rug strips? See what you've done to us, we all want one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great experiment!!! Its so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************