Monday, December 10, 2012

Return to Fezziwig's Ball

Me, Rob and Fezziwig
I had planned to go back to the Scout House Cotillion this year, until I discovered it had been discontinued.  Then I briefly contemplated taking a break this season from the dress-up period dancing.  However, with a small nudge from Rob, I decided we should return to Fezziwig's Ball this year.

I'm glad we went.  We scored a good parking spot and it was a mild evening to walk to Salem's old town hall.  Fezziwig greeted us warmly at the door.  He was a mountain of a man and so cheerful I couldn't help but smile.  I admit I got a little giddy when I walked in and saw so many beautiful gowns, top hats and tails.  Ooh!

I enjoyed this year's ball better than last year's for a number of reasons:  I was familiar with the pace of the evening, it wasn't as overwhelmingly new, and I wore dance shoes instead of the heals I usually wear with this dress.  I had to be careful not to step on the hem, but the shoes made navigating the stairs far less treacherous.  In addition, the Grand March did not include traipsing up and down the stairs.  Much better!

The hall didn't feel as packed this year, as well.  That allowed for a bit more room to move.  The crowd was quieter while the dances were taught.  The teaching didn't seem quite as confusing as it had last year, but that may be from us recalling the steps more than any change in the instructions.  All in all, it made for a more relaxing evening.  The crowd was still a very festive bunch:



Look at those gowns in motion!



So many period outfits, and all of the them were stunning (both the men and the women).  I know many of the costumes were hand made and I'm always impressed with handiwork and the attention to detail.  I also learned that dresses changed enough each season that an educated person can determine the year of a dress within a year or two, based on the style of the skirt.  Impressive!  I was told, however, it can be distracting watching a period movie, knowing that the costumes are from the wrong year. 

We danced most of the dances.   The reels are my favorite.  Oh, and the Spanish Dance.  It was fun to get dressed up, dance, and spend some time as if in a Dickens tale.  Overall, a very enjoyable evening.


No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************