Friday, February 7, 2014

Chocolate Party Squares

My grandmother was not a big cook.  However, she's remembered for her apple pie and these shortbread chocolate meringue bars, called Chocolate Party Squares.

I've had this recipe forever, but I haven't made them in... oof... maybe 20 years?  Then one of my aunts brought these bars to a family get-together.  Everyone instantly recognized them.  I had forgotten how delicious they were: sweet and chocolaty with a bit of crunchiness and a hint of chewiness.

I was inspired to make them the other night.  I probably should have waited for a party - they're disappearing fast.  All mine.


Chocolate Party Squares

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour

1 cup chocolate chips
2 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup nuts

Cream butter, sugar, yolks and vanilla.  Add flour and mix well.  Press into 9x13" pan.  Bake 15 minutes at 350F (until lightly browned).  Sprinkle with chips, let stand 5 minutes then spread.  Make a meringue of the whites and sugar.  Fold in nuts and spread over chocolate.  Bake 10 to 12 minutes at 375F.  Cool, cut into squares.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************