Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Scrolling Patterns

I haven't done any applique work for myself lately, so I bought myself a sweatshirt with the intent to do something artistic.  I went through my fabric stash and came across some black and red leafy material and thought it looked great against the red sweatshirt. 


I love decorative scrolls and Celtic knots.  I decided something winding would be neat. I started to cut templates.  I had trouble with my first set of scrolls.  They looked fine on the sweatshirt when the sweatshirt was laid out flat, but didn't look right when I tried it on.  I then realized that the delicate scroll-work looked great, but its too thin to show off the pattern of the fabric I want to use.  In addition, at that width, most of the fabric would be covered with the stitching.


So I started again.  I retraced my existing scrolls, fattened them up and made a fourth scrolling piece so that the overall pattern come farther down on the left side of the shirt.  I think this width will look better with the material, even though it lost some of its daintiness.  It looks better when I'm wearing it, although it still needs some adjustment before I'm ready to cut the material.  This is as far as I got before I ran out of time.

Ha.  I may be dragging my feet to finalize the design and cut the fabric just because I don't want to face the nightmare of stitching all those curves!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************