Thursday, March 21, 2013

Lentil Kielbasa Soup

I came across this recipe last month and thought:  lentils... kielbasa... that could be good.  I usually have a bag of red lentils on hand, but I need a break from dahl (as good as it is).  So this looked like a nice alternative.

The recipe was written for a crock pot.  Our crock pot sits as decoration above the fridge.  I like my dutch oven so much better.  Rob's not big on carrots, and I had a yam sitting around in the fridge - so I sort of doctored the recipe and threw whatever looked good into it.  We also probably doubled the kielbasa because it seemed like the thing to do (mostly Rob's idea).  It called for a dash of pepper flakes.  I wasn't sure what size a "dash" was, so I added a pinch of red pepper flakes.  It could have used two pinches.  Next time I may have to be a little crazy and add three pinches of pepper flakes!  But we both liked the final result.  I'll have to make it again and tinker with it some more.


Lentil Kielbasa Soup
(Adapted from Belly Full)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large carrot, chopped
1 small yam, diced
1 small sweet onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
dash of crushed red pepper flakes
pepper
2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
12 ounces fully cooked polska kielbasa, cut into bite-sized pieces
½ tsp salt
½ Tbls dried Italian herbs
2½ Tbls lemon juice

In a dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, yams, onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes; sauté for 5-6 minutes. Season with a sprinkle of pepper. Add the lentils, broth, water, kielbasa, and salt.

Lower heat to medium-low.  Stir to combine, cover, simmer 40-60 minutes, until desired consistency.

Stir in the herbs and lemon juice.  Add a bit more salt and pepper, if necessary.


No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************