Thursday, March 14, 2013

Two Ingredient Cookies

I had seen this recipe for two-ingredient cookies after it popped up on a Lifehacker post and friend of mine posted it on Facebook.  The original poster raves about them, so I was intrigued.  I have friends that are allergic to both dairy and wheat, so maybe I could make these cookies for them?

I happened to have two medium-sized overripe bananas this week, so I gave them a try.  I don't have quick oats, so I food-processed a skimpy cup of old-fashioned oats so they were a bit finer.  I threw in a handful of chocolate chips, a handful of raisins, and just a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg.  It made about a dozen cookies.

There was a part of me that doesn't agree with calling them cookies - but I can't think of a better term for them.  They made me think of a chewy granola bar, without being so sickeningly sweet.  They held together well; they were moist and chewy and not at all crumbly and didn't scream banana!  (A friend of mine sampled one, and couldn't immediately guess that the second ingredient was banana.)  The chocolate chips and raisins were the only sweetener.  I should have added more cinnamon and nutmeg than I did.  And I will definitely have to try other mix ins when I try making these again.

This is not a recipe for baking for the hordes, since it only results in a few servings of cookies.  However, it is a great way to use up an old banana or two if there isn't enough of them (or time) to make banana bread.  It makes for a quick snack food, and since the cookies hold together well, they would be good to eat on the go.  I know what I'll be making with my old stray bananas.  

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************