Sunday, April 12, 2015
I'm glad my sister requested this color scheme. I love how they look. It was fun to make the placemats all different, yet they are clearly a matched set. They will go nicely with the table runner.
Work stopped when I ran out of green thread to finish the last placemat. I finished them early last week. I backed the last two placemats with musical mice. My family will recognize the fabric - it covered some shelves in my nephew's room years ago. I thought it would be a fun addition to the placemats and went nicely with the green and blue borders. I quilted a loopy flowery pattern on one. The last one I quilted starry night. I need to practice that pattern some more. The crescents look more like fishing hooks! Regardless, I'm really pleased with how it came out.
The more patterns I try, the more I realize that freemotion quilting is a lot like handwriting. I can copy what I see, even following the directions, but my results have a recognizable curve and slant. It looks a lot like when I doodle the same pattern on paper. Unless I trace a pattern, nothing I quilt will look exactly like anything I see out on the web. Which is fine - it's kind of nice to know that even when I copy a pattern it will retain my own style.
And some details.
And that, I think, is enough photos.
I still have a bunch of the material left over. I may end up making one of the other patterns I liked as a table runner.