Friday, July 24, 2015

Shattered Kites

This quilt was so much fun.  I'm thinking of making another scrappy one like it, with each kite a different color.  But my project list is so long... it may be a while before I can get to that.  In the meantime, here's my finished Shattered Kites

After some debate, I skipped adding any borders and went straight to binding.  I'm happy with that effect.  It just kind of ends; your attention is drawn towards the middle, not the edges.

I planned to quilt straight lines over the yellow (although I worried it would show off the not-quite straight sashing), or stitch-in-the-ditch around the kites.  I didn't want a busy quilt pattern, since the kites were already busy enough.  I ended up quilting straight lines centering on a cluster of kites.  I wasn't thinking at the time that the stitching would be parallel to the yellow, which is what I was trying to avoid.  But look!  It's straight!  How did I manage that?



I put corner pockets in all four corners.  I know which way is up, but I figured I may need to hang it on it's side at some point.  (I have big walls in my current place, but that's not always the case.)  So pockets everywhere.  I may need to add a proper sleeve if I want to submit it to the Topsfield Fair.  But that's an easy enough addition I can slap on later.


This label was a project, all in itself.  I ruined several pieces of material.  The first ended up with a beautiful test-print from my computer, the others all jammed in the printer.  I gave up trying to do my own with freezer paper and used my plain ready-to-print fabric.  I spruced it up by surrounded it with scraps of the ruined material.  Not a total waste (and it's pretty).

Huzzah!  It's currently hanging in the living room, although it may get moved to the end of the hall.  I'm so pleased with how it came out!


1 comment :

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).

Recent Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...