Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Piggy Swap

 

When I gave Dakin Humane an update on Jitterbug's eating habits (not eating hay nor drinking water), they suggested trying Timothy hay and a bowl of water instead of a water bottle.  The water bowl didn't seem to make any difference, but he did seem to like Timothy hay.  Unfortunately I am allergic to Timothy hay... so I needed to return Jitterbug.  I felt bad I couldn't do more for him; it was a bit of a relief to see him go.  I can't win them all.

As it happens, Dakin Humane had other available guinea pigs - out with one and in with another.  Say hello to Dave.

Dave may have similar coloring and bed-head like Jitterbug, but he is clearly a different pig.  Dave is loaf.  I just want to squeeze him!  He's a laid back mature dude, with fat mutton chop cheeks and lovely soft fur.  


Dave also immediately nibbled on some of the orchard grass when he got in the cage.  He clearly doesn't have a problem with my hay.  He loves lettuce and ate cucumber, but seems a little suspicious of bell pepper and of all things, carrot.  What piggy doesn't like carrots?  

Yeah, I have fostered some strange guinea pigs over the years.  

Dakin has Dave listed as a year old but his toenails and calm attitude when he arrived makes me think he's at least two years or older.  I'm hoping he'll enjoy his stay with us more than Jitterbug did.

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************