Thursday, March 19, 2020

I Like Thursday: Hunkering Down

I would say my attempts at social distancing were... well... a step in the right direction.  Succeeded in some places, failed in others.  I think we've ironed things out.  For a large part, it's life as usual, since I work at home.  The lack of dancing (after having isolated myself weeks before surgery as well) is the worst bit.  I miss the people and the music.

But there's been plenty this week that have made me happy and grateful.

I visited my sister on Sunday to get final dimensions for my next project.  She handed me a surprise get well gift of chocolate and flowers.  A friend of mine contacted my sister asking her to deliver these the next time we met (along with a big hug).  The chocolates are now long gone, but I hope to enjoy the flowers for some time yet.  I've said before - I have the best friends.

Ooh - and once again I got to see Golden Orrery on her bed in the sunshine.  Always a treat!


The library closed down before I got a chance to stock up.  But the librarian called on Monday to tell me my books on hold had come in.  If I came in immediately, I could pick them up.  I had spent Sunday evening combing through the online catalog, jotting down any title on my reading list that was marked as available.  After doing a happy dance from the librarian's call, I rushed down to the library.  I picked up my two on-hold books, plus three others.  The librarian was wearing gloves to handle all books and had me wipe my books with disinfectant before I left.  They were still a bit damp from the disinfectant; I stood them up to dry.  Oh, beautiful!

Before getting the call, I had downloaded the Libby app.  I'm not fond of reading off the tablet, but it will be better than no books at all!

We went back to the hospital for my post op on Thursday.  Of course we had to make the trip worthwhile and stop at the pastry shop!  Yum!

Surgeon was happy with my progress.  Biopsy of my thyroid found a lump, so I'm even more happy to have had it removed.  I am ever so grateful to have had the surgery before COVID-19 made its appearance (first case documented at the hospital on Saturday).

We made the mistake of going grocery shopping at our usual time on Saturday morning.  The store is usually empty at this time.  Not this week; people everywhere.  Out of curiosity, I looked down BJ's paper aisle.  I was told they had just moved the water onto the shelves so they weren't empty.  Usually this entire aisle is toilet paper and paper towels - all the way down to where that person is standing.  All gone.  This is nuts.


We have color in our yard!  Most of it is still yellow and brown but I found a bit of green and purple peeking out.

This isolation stuff doesn't have a whole lot of effect on our day to day living.  I would love to have more time to play, but honestly I'm grateful not to have my entire life turned upside-down right now.


So I'm happy when I have time to play!  My ironing board became a craft table earlier this week as I put together another name tag (which I will not be able to try out for weeks... <sigh>).  It was a fun project that exercised various problem-solving skills.

Cleared off the ironing board and put it back to work as intended:  my latest bunch of crumb quilting.  Quite a pile of scrap.  I need to wrap this up quick, so I can start work on my next real project.  I'm making a carry case for my nephew's Switch.  I've got fabric and batting, a rough pattern, and an old camcorder carry case I plan to cannibalize for parts.  This should be a fun challenge.

I hope you are finding some bright spots as we head into this virus uncertainty.  There's more fun projects and green growing things happening at Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.  Enjoy and take care.


12 comments :

  1. In these uncertain times, it is good you have reading and oodles of stitching to keep you occupied. It is good to know you are feeling better with each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a cheerful post, always good to see flowers. Good medical news, too. Your timing was great for the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear you have plenty to read--I am re-reading a lot of favorites since i wasn't able to get to our library here...stay safe hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a library book I was lucky enough to pick up. Glad I have the online apps that I can pull from, but also I have a bookshelf at home full, and a kindle full too. The pastries look yummy. Enjoy the time to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great likes and glad you have some books to read! So grateful you got the surgery done and you are doing well! Hugs and continued prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was at the grocery store, one of the produce aisles was nothing but dozens of big bags of peanuts in the shell - the ones I buy for the goats - spaced evenly across all the shelves. I suppose it's psychologically better than empty shelves, but only the goats would have been REALLY excited about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty flowers and a pile of books - just what we need right now. I have library books here, too, that now have the due dates suspended - whoo hoo! Glad all is well with your recovery and you have new projects to work on, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sally! Love the peek of flowers in the yard. Yay of the books from the library - they look good to me! I don't mind reading on my eReader. I use my account to send books to Sue's mom - she really enjoys the variety of books we can get. Stay healthy and safe and happy quilting. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty flowers! They will brighten things up at home! Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great post Sally. I'm interested to read about the various levels of isolating around your country. Here in Ontario we have been told to self isolate since last Friday. I'm so glad too you had your surgery and checkup before all this kicked in. That was fortuitous. It is not a hardship for us to stay home...we have lots of everything and our hobbies. I have audio books too to read which is great. We are both in the high risk group so being super cautious. Yesterday we went for a drive just to get out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to see your flowers and chocolates! I've been reading a lot lately too. I use the library app, Libby, on my Nook. I got used to reading on my tablet. It's the same size as a book so it wasn't too hard to get used to. I love being able to borrow and return books without actually going to the library. Especially now! Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. our library has also shut down. Just before they closed I asked about online books as normal books made me kind of nervous even wiped down with hand sanitizer. Anyway, I found out, to read things online on my computer (instead of on a tablet like a kindle), any library member could join for free a couple of reading services, so we could read the books on our computers instead. My computer has a feature where I can dim the back lighting so I don't get fuzzy vision from reading on it or a headache for the same reason. I haven't tried it out yet, may this weekend, but it was nice to know there was an alternative to having to buy a kindle so I could read my way through this stay at home order.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************