Saturday, March 7, 2020

Turtle Trouble

Wow.  This quilt has fought so hard against being quilted.  It's not that big!  But it tried to be big trouble.


I snapped the bobbin thread three times in a 10" stretch of seaweed.  The rest of it stitched up fine.  Well, until I flipped it over.

That's when I discovered I stitched a section of the backing to itself.  I spent 20 minutes carefully cutting and pulling that out (but I kept the quilting!).

Originally I quilted blue on blue for the seaweed but I didn't like it.  Then I tried some dark green; it looks great.  I did a little test on the outside border, but the thread just disappeared on the busy print.  So I left the outer edge alone. 

The background was also so busy it didn't need quilting.  I simply followed the some of the waves and swirls, enough to tack it down.

Steamed out the needle holes.  I need to make sure the quilt is square, then sew on the border and label.  It's so close to being done.

Sharing with Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?


3 comments :

  1. been there done that ripped it all out. On busy fabrics.... maybe repetitive lines. Batiks and fusible need a small sharp needle. I like superior titanium quilting needles, sharp, last a l o n g time and slippery with fusible. The thread may have to be poly too, to slip through the fusible and batiks and match top and bobbin thread. That's my two cents
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curses....re the backing. =) Loving this quilt, Sally. You are nearly at the finish line...keep going....you are doing fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your perseverance is impressive. Keep at it - you will be so thrilled with the result when you are done!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************