Thursday, March 12, 2020

I Like Thursday: Sugaring and Squawking

It's sugaring time.  Out here, the evidence is everywhere.  Buckets have suddenly sprouted on the maples in our neighborhood (in addition to the permanent tubing on some of the trees).


A neighbor down the street makes maple syrup.  His old sugar house fell apart last spring (I was told the table collapsed as he finished off his last batch).  He'd spent the summer/fall building a new one.  I saw it fired up for the first time last week - huge billows of steam rising from the roof.  Pretty cool.


Rob has been telling me about Davenports for years.  It's a restaurant open only during sugaring season.  We had breakfast there on Saturday and visited their sugar house while waiting for a table.

It takes a lot of sap to produce a jug of syrup - the sign says:  These forty quarts if filled with maple sap, would yield one quart.


This contraption boils down the sap.  It was impressive.  Valves control everything:  the sap comes in, gets warmed up, then hits the evaporating area and graduates back and forth across the pan through gates (as the boiling point changes).  Eventually maple syrup is spit out and checked for density (to make sure it's really syrup).  So the whole process is continuous; the sap isn't boiled down in batches.  I had no idea!

The syrup then goes through a filtering/pasteurizing machine (in the back right corner) and from there it's bottled. 


The walls were covered with a history of spouts, buckets, jugs and tins.  There was even a display of sugar molds.  The people working there explained how it all worked.  I enjoyed learning about the process.

Our wait over, we were seated at a table overlooking the interior of the sugar house.  Neat, eh?

I ordered a Finish pancake; Rob had a combo plate of pancake, french toast, hash browns and sausage.  Each meal came with a little bottle of Davenport's maple syrup.  It was more than enough for the meal; we brought home the extras.

The restaurant is on the farm.  This was the view from the parking lot.  So much space!




Meanwhile, back in our neighborhood... I'm finally up for walking.  Yay!  Our neighbor's dog, Roxy, joined us on Monday.  She scared the bejesus out of us by sneaking up behind us.  Roxy was minding her own business, but her presence also upset this guinea hen down the street. What squawking! 


And do you see the sap buckets on her trees?  I hear the tractor go by every day to collect the contents to bring back to the sugar house.


The turtle quilt is done!  I just photographed it yesterday - I had some good sunlight.  In the meantime - my mother gave me yards of these two border fabrics.  I've been trying to figure out what to do with them.  Not a color scheme I usually go for, but I could use them as borders.  Or do I stack and whack them and try making some kind of blocks with them?  What would you do with fabric like this?

That's my likes for the week.  I'm sharing with I Like Thursday over at Not Afraid of Color.

11 comments :

  1. I was thinking about sugaring, the cousin I met last fall has a sugar shack and he wins awards with his syrup. Yay for feeling better and being out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sally! I have never seen the maple sugar buckets other than when I visited Vermont years ago. Nothing beats the taste though of real maple syrup. Yippee for feeling good enough to be out for a walk. Hmm. That border fabric - I think I would try to make some blocks out of it and use it up. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. The maple syrup time in your part of the country is so fascinating to me! Nothing like that here. I bet it is delicious, too! So glad you're feeling stronger. Looking forward to seeing the turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best birthday gift ever, a few years ago s friend sent several jars of syrup from her own NH trees. I shared with another birthday friend. No comparison with store bought.

    Glad you're doing better. With that fabric I'd be thinking shopping bags. Maybe quilted and lined, but to carry about and show off. Or kitchen/bathroom curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of sugaring around here in Ontario, Sally. Several friends tap enough to make a couple of jars and of course, there are a number of well know big operations that open a small restaurant for pancakes and such. We always do it once like a rite of spring. Who knew guinea hens could make such a weird noise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That process is so fascinating. I had no idea how much went into making maple syrup. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sugaring time! When I was a kid, a visit to the sugarbush was an annual treat, but we moved away from sugaring country. I remember the visits fondly and am rather sad that my kids have never had the experience. So glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sugaring was very interesting to me, thanks for sharing! Not sure what I would do with that fabric. In the meantime, stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yea to being out and walking. I LOVE maple syrup, it's a little gift in life. It is good on anything. Yea to finishing the turtles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you're out walking. I love real maple syrup. I can't stand the imitation stuff. Congrats on finishing your turtle quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A stack and whack quilt sounds like fun. It will be amazing, no matter what you choose. Another idea is to use the cloth as is and make some bolster pillows for around the house with trapunto quilting. A little different from the turtles, but with your ability to free motion quilt, it would be fun to echo the middle to the sides of the panels. Here's a site for learning how to do it if you haven't tried it yet. Though I think you may have already done some, somewhere along the line. https://www.favequilts.com/Techniques-and-Videos/Trapunto-Quilting

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************