Saturday, June 13, 2020

Finished Tank Top

I finished the tank top! 

The kanzashi flowers were far more difficult to attach than the folded flowers.  When I sewed them on by hand, the knit fabric underneath pulled unevenly.  Machine stitching wasn't much better:  the edges were so thick they nearly didn't fit under the presser foot.  I needed to stitch as close to the center as possible so the stitching would be hidden by the center button.  But if I stitched too close to the center, I often failed to catch all the edges.  A few flowers needed to be stitched around three times to properly attach them to the tank top. 

It was a challenge to attach the kanzashi's button centers, too.  I picked shank buttons for most of them - I really liked how that looked.  Turns out the shank was hard to access once the first couple of stitches were in place.  They look awesome.  We'll see how long they'll survive through the washing machine.  The folded flowers all have flat buttons - so much easier!  And I have no worries about them pulling a hole through the knit fabric or coming loose.

I love the leaf on the bottom-left of the back.  Since the leaves had no raw edges I was able to have this one hang over the edge.  Not by much, but it was a fun little detail to add.

The whole top weighs just noticeably more than when I started - I guess all those buttons and doubled-up fabric add up.  But it's fun!  Looks great.  Alas, it will be a long time before I can try it out on the dance floor

I enjoyed this so much I'm now eyeballing a dress I had attempted (and failed) to embellish.  It's currently hanging on my design wall as I contemplate what additions would spice it up.  I'm jazzed to give it another try.

Sharing with Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I get a Whoop Whoop?


9 comments :

  1. The top looks great. As far as attaching shank buttons, there's curved needles you can buy for just such a task. They used to be bigger & were used for tying quilts back in my grandmother's day. Now there are smaller ones. I use them in needleturn applique when I'm using wool. As a matter of fact, American folkd Arts & Crafts in Hanover, MA may be where I found mine. They specialize in making their own felted wool. They survive because they produce wool for specilized costumes, both in movies & for civil & revolutionary war costumes. They might have a website. Can't wait to see what you do with the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done an excellent job! The tank top is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the embellished tank top. Definitely don't wait to wear on the dance floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty tank. You might want to turn it inside out and place it in a lingerie bag to wash--that's what I do with decorative tops--just a thought. Enjoy it--looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a terrific outcome - well done for persevering. I would never guess from looking at it that you had so many challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your embellished top looks fabulous, Sally, with all those gorgeous pretties. Now for the dress. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your spot removal process :) Looks great.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************