Thursday, April 6, 2023

I Like Thursday: Easter and Quilt Prep

I picked up some daffodils last week.  They fit nicely in this cute little vase I picked up a few years ago.  A little sunlight, a little green and yellow - it makes me happy!

I've spent the last few days working on Easter candy, a little at a time.  Candy centers.  Almond buttercrunch.  I'm still working solo, so I'm doing small batches and experimenting.  Last year's coffee buttercreams were good, so I'm trying it again  year.  I intended to make chai buttercreams, but instead I added some chai spice to some of the cookie dough truffles.  I'll be curious how they taste.


Every time I use this tempering machine I learn something new.  I need to update my notes again.  The first batch was milk chocolate.  I dipped
about half the buttercrunch, the peanut butter balls and some of the chocolate chip cookie dough truffles. 


It's going to be hard not to eat them!  I plan on dipping dark chocolate tonight, then do the non-dipped items and decorations on Saturday.

Tomorrow I'll be trying my hand at Ukrainian eggs for the first time in... um... I really don't recall how long ago.  Best not to think on that too hard.

I've run out of little crumb pieces -  have these blocks to show for it.  Not sure what they'll become.  They're kind of pretty all arranged like this.

This is the fabric pull for the next quilt.  I have some ideas for the pattern.  I'm trying to calculate yardage, understand how the pattern goes together and try to envision how the colors will go together.

This week's prompt:  special Easter memories.  I loved Easter egg hunts.  I recall Dad was so happy when my sister and I still wanted to hunt eggs even after we knew the truth about the Easter Bunny.  He hid eggs for us well into adulthood.  I remember the rules - part of the egg had to be visible and could be extracted without needing to open doors or drawers.  I remember him giving us hints on some of the tough ones.

We tried an outdoor hunt with plastic eggs filled with candy.  That lasted only one year - we couldn't find one egg no matter how we looked, because the squirrels got to it first.  (We joke that the peanut brittle would have glued their mouths shut.)  

I just finished reading Project Hail Mary.  What an entertaining book - the author's enthusiasm is contagious.

I'm sure I'll have some fun photos to share next week.  Linking up with LeeAnna's I Like Thursday.



11 comments :

  1. What a beautiful scene with your daffodils! How could I have never heard of a tempering machine? Are you making those candies for Easter? I would have had to sample half of them - they look delicious. Your Dad sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am craving milk-chocolate-covered penuche so much right now. A rare indulgence, when I find myself close to a Priscilla's. Probably a good thing that it IS rare :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I like daffodils! None in my yard. And there is still freezing nighttime temps and still a couple of inches of snow in the grassy areas. So tired of winter. But Easter Sunday will be nice and no one will have to wear a parka over their new Easter dress.
    Your candy looks so delicious! Looking forward to seeing all your pics next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Candy Making!
    Easter egg hunts, they were fun more watching that participating.
    Some kids went berserk, grab things out of your hand, push you out of the way. I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crumb blocks look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chocolates look so good! How do you dip them so they are so smooth on top? I loved your squirrels got the Easter eggs story! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hints of green and pretty flowers always lift the spirits! Your chocolates look and sound yummy - I would have a hard time leaving them alone. Looks like you had fun sewing crumb blocks, and a new quilt project is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren't those daffodils uplifting! I love how creative/inventive/explorative you are in the kitchen esp. with this candy making. All I ever do is cut back on sugar and maybe add a little cinnamon. Love those colourful crumb blocks and yes, it is fun to pull fabrics for a new project. How's the taste testing coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought making candy is difficult. You seem to have it all under control! I love your crumb blocks. It's nice to be able to use up all those leftover scraps. Have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh your candy! We are enjoying ours from your recipe, crumb blocks are beeee utiful. Graphic, modern, interesting color changes. I say sew them like this! Then make more.
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness the chocolates look delicious, they wouldn´t last long in my house ! and I like the fabrics you have chosen for your new quilt..

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************