Thursday, April 20, 2023

I Like Thursday: A Paddle, Some Honey, and Good China

Welcome to this week's post.  These seem to be my only posts lately - not much on the sewing/guinea pig front.  On the other hand, I've snagged a bit of restful, quiet time.  I'll roll with that until I get creative again.

I kayaked on Friday!  Couldn't let the warm weather go by without a paddle.  No one was parked at the entrance, but I came across a trio of paddleboarders on the water.  Otherwise I had the pond to myself. 

Kayaking is calming.  I don't know if it's the water, the view, or the rhythm of the paddling, but I have a better mindset when I'm done.

I enjoyed exploring the edges of the pond since they're currently weed-free (that won't last long).  I floated over two huge snapping turtles.  Wow, the claws!  On the far side of the pond I passed by a nesting goose.  Can you find her on top of that big rock?  She sat so still I nearly passed her without noticing.  I took this photo once I cleared the area;  she watched me warily and I hadn't intended to upset her.   

Local honey!  I mean really local - we often walk by the beehives.  Sadly one of the hives got hit last weekend from the local hungry bear.  I guess the name is apt!



Last weekend I pulled my parent's china from the basement, although not in time to use for Easter.  It had been packed away for ages, so everything needed a wash before stored in the kitchen cabinets.  (Oh, I love the extra room.)  

Goodness, I had no idea there were so many different pieces!  Nobody entertains like this any more.  I left the cups and saucers and a set of cordial glasses downstairs.  I will never use those.  The coffee pot, creamer and sugar bowl are in the curio with my tea cups, so I can admire the design.  Rob rolled his eyes when I started hauling the boxes from the basement, but I'm pleased to have the set (and to have it ready-for-use).

This week's prompt asks us about favorite scents.  I have to say I'm partial to melted chocolate.  LOL. The smell of mothballs transports me to my grandmother's attic.  I like the smell of the ocean.  Good memories.  Oh, simple things - clean hay (even though it will make me sneeze), the smell of the garden after it rains.  It's hard to pick a favorite.

Those are my likes for the week.  Linking up with LeeAnna's I Like Thursday



9 comments :

  1. Happy Kayaking! Beautiful pond.
    The dinnerware pattern is elegant and beautiful.
    Scents. For sure fresh hay. There is cheese that's aged in hay that's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photo of you on the pond, Sally! I love the reflections in the water. I have both my mom's and my mother-in-law's china - just like you, it's all in boxes. Life is different nowadays, and I never think to use it. That honey looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the beautiful set! I love old china.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally - I am so jealous that you have already been out for a paddle! Our lakes still have a good coating of ice on them. I think the Sandhill Cranes, the Swans and other duck-like birds are questioning the timing of their returns to the neighborhood! Your china is lovely - I have a set of cordial glasses from my Mom, and the only potential use I can think of is shot glasses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photo of you on the water. I don’t kayak, but find water calming. I am a Pisces after all! I think your parent’s china is lovely. But you are correct, nobody uses the good china anymore! But maybe we should. Enjoy the pieces you have in the curio! And use them occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hay, forgot that one, and sneeze! freshly mown grass. Your pond looks wild, but a bear roams around your hood? whoa

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post Sally for me to enjoy here this morning. I particularly liked you took us on the pond with you. Amazing to spy the goose and snapping turtles too...don't want to mess with them! Your happy blissful looking face photo says it all! Yes to getting out those dishes and using them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kayaking sounds fun and relaxing. It's nice to have that china. I don't use mine much either. Watch out for that bear!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are lucky to have that local honey! Isn't it amazing how things have changed on china. When we got married, everyone chose an everyday and a formal pattern plus crystal plus everyday glasses and the same with silverware. Things are so much more simple now. My son and DIL have a drawer in their kitchen with paper plates, and that is mostly what they use for meals - lol!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************