Saturday, June 3, 2023

A Trip to MASS MoCA

We went to MASS MoCA and Mount Greylock last weekend.  It's been years since we've been to the museum and I've never been to Greylock.  We managed to get a museum pass from the library and off we went!

I loved the sunlight streaming through the huge old glass windows.  

You never know what you'll find:  some of it's pretty, some of it's strange.  I got a kick out of a table that had instructions to sit at it, put your elbows on the table and hands over your ears.  I could hear sounds, but there was no sound standing near it.  Very cool.

This was the largest watercolor in the world (up until 2021) - 15x8'.  It's big!  I took this photo just so my sister could see it. 



I had to take a selfie in front of a wall full of masked paintings.

I loved the room with the lightbulbs - the plaque said it was to mimic the Milky Way.  It gently undulated across the ceiling.  I bet it would look great at dusk!

There was one installation that had been there the last time we went:  it was a gallery in which the artist painted directly onto the walls.  Many of the designs reminded me of quilts.

Then there was the roller coaster.  Ha!  We found out you could schedule a ride on it, but of course it was all booked up for the day.  We got to watch this guy get a ride, though! 

The bottom installation was over 900 hand-thrown bowls, some filled with loose change, called Forever in Your Debt.  I thought it was an interesting project and commentary on student debt.  You can donate (fill a bowl and you can take home the bowl at the end of the showing); the money will be divvied up between the artist and an organizations working on student debt solutions.

After the museum we headed over to Mount Greylock.  It was a beautiful day for it!  It was in the 88F in North Adams, but it was only 74F at the top.  Lovely!  The view was a bit hazy because of wildfires in Canada.  I thought the war monument was quite striking.

We were amused at the gas mileage going up and coming down!  From the museum to the top, averaged 20mpg.  We coasted behind a bicyclist all the way down - she was going at least the speed limit most of the way!  I think we hit 150mpg by the time we got to the end - we weren't sure the car would register that! 

It was a delightful afternoon!



3 comments :

  1. That looks like a very interesting museum to visit! All kinds of different art to look at. I love the view from the top of Mt. Greylock, and that you could coast all the way back down, too! Sounds like a very enjoyable day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool museum filled with interesting installations. It sounds as if you had a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when that museum was just an idea and a proposal, and how exciting it sounded. And I STILL have not been!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************