Saturday, October 14, 2023

Some Art and a Spillway

We went to The Clark a week ago.  The trip was primarily to see the Munch exhibit which was interesting.  There was a lithograph of The Scream, dark prints and oddly colored landscapes.  We wandered through the other exhibit halls as well (in which I snapped a few photos).  

I knew Sarah Bernhardt was an actress, but had no idea she sculpted, too.  This is a self portrait of herself as a sphinx.  It's an inkwell.  Such an unusual piece.  I loved the details.

 

This self portrait of Renoir also caught my eye.  My first thought was:  this is a guy I'd enjoy contra dancing with.  Ha!  Do you think he ever went contra dancing?



Various Objects was a great name - it really did look items tacked to a cork board.  The frame added to the illusion.  Painted in 1785 - it certainly didn't look that old.


The reflecting pools outside were quite lovely, too.  We didn't have a chance to walk the grounds, but what little we saw was beautiful.  The benches had funny observations/opinions carved into them.


We almost missed the upside-down tree on the way out.



On the way home we swung by the Harriman Reservoir.  We'd had a lot of rain lately and had hoped that the "morning glory" spillway would be flowing.  Unfortunately, the reservoir was far lower than we anticipated, but the structure was still impressive.  I'd like to see it in action!

6 comments :

  1. You saw some very interesting pieces! It sounds like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay... that Various Objects piece! Oh my! I had to Google it and have another look and read a little about it. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a really interesting museum! Beautiful grounds, too. Looks like fall colors are showing themselves where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an upside-down tree - sapling sized - here for a while, but found the sight surprisingly jarring, day after day, and finally moved it to the workshop to continue drying. When saplings fall, especially black birch, I often save them to use as walking sticks. The angled root portion makes a nice, grippable end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting exhibit in an interesting setting. Had no idea that Sarah sculpted either. Amazing as is that self portrait. Would love to have seen these items myself.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************