Monday, October 30, 2023

Sandwiched Mat

I accomplished my October goal - it's a sandwiched quilt.  

The backing is leftover blocks, just as the front had been.  The middle diamond came from my recent baby quilt. The kite squares were rejects from Bouncing Boxes.  I didn't have enough of the dark grey to make the background, so I dug around for my unloved fabric.  Light colors didn't work, but oddly enough this red did.  None of the other reds.  Not even a dark green.  How odd.  

It's loud - more than the front.  But since it's the backing I'm not too concerned with the volume.

I sandwiched it with batting  from an old comforter my sister gave me.  The project is a lot of recycling and upcycling!  Initially I folded the batting into three layers for some padding for my knees.  However, it was hard to pin and I feared it would be simply too puffy.  I removed a layer, which pinned together easier.  I'll start quilting as soon as I straighten out my sewing machines.  I plan to quilt this heavily since it's supposed to be mostly flat.  We'll see what inspires me.

I had hoped to have it quilted by Halloween but got sidetracked with sewing machines!

Once it's quilted I'll attach the rubber shelf lining (in a way yet to be determined). 


Sharing with:
Stories from the Sewing Room - October OMG


4 comments :

  1. It is pretty, colorful and cheerful.Good Work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melisa is right...this is so pretty and the colours certainly work together now. I absolutely love how you recycled/upcycled fabric. We all should be doing more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still so intrigued watching this come together. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A success! And isn't it satisfying to pull things together out of materials already on hand?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************