Friday, August 18, 2023

Confetti and Streamers


Huzzah!  I got the baby quilt done in time for Family Weekend.  Well, finished at Family Weekend.  I wrapped up the binding and buried the last quilting threads down on the Cape less than four hours before the festivities began.  Luck was with me - I had sunshine, nearly no breeze and some excellent places to photograph at the cottage.

I held onto the quilt long enough to confirm I got good photos and then gifted it on Sunday.  Whew!

The quilt pattern is called Woven Jewelbox.  I wanted the throw quilt design as a baby quilt size.  So I cut my strips just shy of two inches wide, which resulted in a quilt roughly 40x50 inches.  The diamonds are about 11 inches tall.

It was a fun design.  I got the zig zags put together fairly quickly, but I struggled with the fabric for the diamonds.  I wanted to work in some dark gold and black, but it fought with the rest of the quilt.  At one point I had put together and mostly ripped apart three different sets of the center diamonds before settling on that green.  The quilt has a cooler feel than what I originally envisioned, but it works.

I managed to incorporate most of the extra diamonds into the back of the quilt.  So many rejects!  They look great, but just not in the front of the quilt.  I have only one diamond left over.  LOL.  I was excited to use the big chunk of blue on the back so you can see all the vehicles on it.  So cute!  The dark gold is perfect.  I don't know why it fought everything on the front.

 

I stitched in the ditch around the zig zags and the diamonds anticipating using free motion to fill it in.  However, I kept skipping stitches on the first little section I tested.  So the whole quilt got the walking foot treatment.  It actually goes quite nicely with the modern pattern.  It's been a long time since I walked something this big.  The insides of the diamonds required me to turn the quilt around - it takes a lot more effort than you'd think.  More time, too.  (I'm hoping to fix that machine so I can go back to free motion!)



Even though it wasn't what I planned, I really like how it turned out.  I even managed to print the label out on one of the little diamond centers.  Perfect!

I am so pleased to have it done for the family reunion.  They loved it!  And I totally lucked out to have a good spot for taking photos (with a background color scheme of grey, green and blue).  

Sharing with:
Wendy's Quilts and More - Peacock Party
Confessions of a Fabric Addict - Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

8 comments :

  1. Congratulations on your finish, Sally! That is a really pretty design, and I like the colors you landed on for the diamonds, especially that fun blue print. I bet the recipients love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice, love the green you ended up with in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great finish! It looks difficult but you got it all figured out. Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great finish! It looks difficult but you got it all figured out. Love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice and given the size can be used well after "baby" period. Love all the colors on the back of the quilt. Way to go getting it done in the nick of time.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, it looks lovely! And well done working out all the fabrics and placements - I have a whole new appreciation for the art of fabric combinations :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely baby quilt! Congrats on the finish ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous quilt. I'm always a fan of different greens together.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************