Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Striped Backing and Zigzag Quilting


It took a while to piece the backing for this quilt.  I had put together the diamonds in tumbling blocks format, which I really liked.  However, I didn't have enough fabric to surround it properly.  I then rearranged them into a vertical stripe.  Not bad.  I was able to use the big chunk of blue fabric as well as some of the grey and off white.  The little bit of dark gold that didn't work at all in the front fit nicely on the back.


I sandwiched it up for quilting.  I planned to start with some stitch-in-the-ditch, then switch to free motion.  However, my free motion machine pitched a fit.  I had to rework all my plans to do walking-foot patterns instead of anything free motion.  I'm now on the search for a new hook for the 15-91 (a trickier task than I anticipated) as well as designing a way to house my newest Singer in the cabinet (I didn't realize it didn't have the holes for the cabinet hinges).  It's a free-standing machine, which is how I will mostly use it, but if I ever need to use it for quilting, it would be nice if it could be set into the cabinet.

Sharing with:
My Quilt Infatuation - Needle and Thread Thursday



1 comment :

  1. That's a neat backing for the diamonds quilt! It's always a great idea to use up the extra blocks on the back. Good luck getting your machines configured for the quilting, too. It always goes better when the machine is happy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************