Thursday, August 3, 2023

I Like Thursday: July's Highlights

I'm still mostly on hiatus, but I had several likes during July that I wanted to share with with LeeAnna and friends over at I Like Thursday

A few weeks ago Rob and I headed to my mother's to help clean out her basement.  I fretted over the undertaking for weeks prior to the date.  However, the planning and research were rewarded!  Amazing  how much disappeared in less than 24 hours.  Freecycle, Craigslist and nextdoor are wonderful resources!  So many things walked away on their own.  (And some people made out like bandits with the items they picked up.)  Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Added bonus - I had time on Friday evening to pick blueberries from Mom's massive blueberry bush.  I ate a bunch of them but the rest are in my freezer. 

We've had SO much rain lately.  Luckily we weren't washed away or flooded.  There's a little stream behind our house that flows when it's wet - usually it's so small I can easily leap across it.  But during the recent downpours it dug a path that was roughly the width of our driveway.  For a week or so we could hear the water pouring through (quite a pleasant sound... as long as it wasn't flowing through the house!).

I had been told of a neighbor down the street has a beautiful lily garden.  He gives tours in mid-July.  There was a break in the heat and the rain for me and another neighbor to go up and take a look.  Such beautiful flowers!  (And not a weed in sight - unlike my garden.)

On the way home from the garden tour, we stopped by to see these crazy huge fungi.  My neighbor described them as being as big as the kitchen sink.  I agree!


The moon...

... as seen through my sunroom window. 

In all of our walking in the neighborhood, I had never seen a snail crossing the road.  This guy was trucking right along when we came upon him.  And I finally managed to photograph the woodchuck that has been cruising through my yard.  He is one fat bad-boy.  Very skittish (he runs at the slightest noise) but he's been checking out my garden too often for my liking.  Hmmm....

I just read an article about Loose Ends - an organization that connects people with unfinished projects due to illness or death.  What a wonderful idea!

And that's the highlights for July.  Hope you're all enjoying your summer!



8 comments :

  1. I think your sunroom is also your moonroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to see a post from you, Sally! So glad the basement clean out went smoothly. Is your mom still planning to move closer to you and your sister? Yum on the freshly picked blueberries! That does look like a beautiful garden. The weeds are taking over here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Your window is amazing! So is that fungus! So great that you could help clear out those things. I need to go through my basement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the creek behind your house! So peaceful looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun share of likable things in your life! The moon through your window is amazing! I’ve never seen a snail like that! Wow! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to see you posted! I have a little marsh/pond behind my house and it's full too. Last year, it didn't even exist. Great picture of the moon through your window! It's always such a huge task to clean our areas like basements. Glad yours was easier than expected. That fungus is huge!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is always like such a load lifted when things get cleaned out. I grew up with a brook running outside my bedroom window and it was so soothing to sleep at night listening to it. What a great post, I love to see the critters as you know. I seem to have just the one groundhog again and it is very skittish. No my garden is not as tended as that beautiful one for sure. Chaos reigns here!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************