Thursday, November 2, 2023

I Like Thursday: October Occurrences

October has slipped by - it's time to share some of my joys with LeeAnna and friends at  I Like Thursday.

I enjoyed the fall colors, as muted as they were.  Leaves dropped almost as fast as they turned.  There was a lot of green well into the month but at this point it's rusty or bare trees.

Rob and I finally made a trip to The Clark, which we had planned weeks before, but life kept getting in the way.

I managed to squeeze in two trips to the pond to kayak between the rain and windy weather.  My sister joined me last Friday (with amazing 75° weather!). Not nearly enough paddling this fall, but I was happy we got the chance to go out.


My hiking buddy and I tackled Mt Wachusett on the other 75° non-rainy day this month.  We met so many people on the trails and at the top of the mountain.  The view was hazy and the fall colors washed out, but the sky was blue and the breeze was wonderful!



Ghost, the piebald deer, has been back a few times this month, sometimes with friends. 


Did you see my adventures with sewing machines?  I've decided to keep the Singer 201 (so my 15-91 will find a new owner).  I'm currently refinishing the cabinet - which is looking great!  The fate of my 714 is still up in the air - Rob says we should dissect it.  That's on hold as I work on the Singer 478.  So far I have it oiled and running.  It will be ready for a new home once I fix the feed throw-out knob and test it a bit.

Of course I gallivanted (as Rob describes it).   First there was trip to Newburyport for the annual chocolate tour.  My mother and I had a great time, even with the rain.  Later my sister and I went to the Paradise City craft fair in Northampton, where I purchased this mirror.  I've admired the guy's woodwork for years, so I was pleased the mirror came home with me.  

Friends of ours celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary with a contra dance.  Dancing and cake - what's not to like?  Ooh, dancing.  I took a hambo class.  Then there was the experienced dance and lots of people came in Halloween attire.  I went as a belly dancer - a costume I hadn't worn in over a decade.  Jingle, jingle; it was fun to wear for a contra dance!

Biggest news of the month - my mother has purchased a condo to be closer to my sister and me (only 10 minutes and 20 minutes, respectively).  Yay!  We can't wait for her to move in.

And to celebrate?  The three of us attended the Montague Halloween festivities, dressed in my dad's old Navy pilot jumpsuits and gear.  My sister managed to squeeze on his old helmet (I wouldn't have been that brave).  I thought my mom looked adorable.  We were amused the jumpsuits fit all three of us (although I looked like I was wearing high waters).  It was cold out, so we were all padded with extra layers.  

I threw on Dad's hat for the photo, but clearly it didn't go with the outfit.  I left it behind when we went out.  

We got lots of compliments on the outfits.  It was so fun to go as a group.  This year we attended early enough to see a bunch of displays and costumes in the twilight.  People have some terrific costumes.  I love the lights when it gets dark, too.

The decorations are so much fun and a few of them were downright scary.  I watched one little girl bravely stand up to a slow moving zombie... until he got a little too close and she ducked behind her mom.  I was told the ghostly figure in the last photo was made from tape.  It was really cool looking!  There was music and food as well as candy.  Quite the evening!

What a month! 



6 comments :

  1. Hi Sally! I agree - October did slip by oh so quickly. Yippee for two kayak adventures. Two is better than none! I just ADORE that photo of you and your Mom and sister. How sweet that you could celebrate together and in your Dad's old jumpsuits and gear. That is fabulous news that Mom is moving closer. Woohoo! And just in time for the holidays. It doesn't get any better than that. {{Hugs}} a bunch! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've had a BIG month of likes! love your dad's uniforms on you three. I never quite mastered hambo, despite classes! I need you to come help me with my old featherweight, purchased a few years ago but too daunting to work on myself. The white deer is special
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful autumn sights where you are! Glad you got in some kayaking and hiking. I'm so impressed with your sewing machine tinkering. I bet you're learning a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally - first, thanks so much for the tip on how to leave a comment! Yippee!!! My goodness, you have had a busy October. As you saw in my post about the wedding, I spent most of it with family, drinking wine and celebrating! So happy for you that your mom is moving closer to you. And you all look adorable in your father's uniforms. An inspired idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed reading this post Sally. So glad you got kayaking and contra dancing esp. as a jingly belly dancer. I grew up with the word gallivanting but haven't heard it in ages so thanks for that. I think my favourite bit is the photo of the three of you...everything about it is special! I'm so happy your Mom is moving closer too. I think a condo is in my future too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the snap of you and your mom and sister!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************