Thursday, November 9, 2023

A Bit of Uphostery

Last month I picked up some free dining room chairs.  They were in very good shape, although a few of the beige fabric seats had stains.  I decided to reupholster them.

I found some dark purple fabric at Swanson's.  It's a bit heavier than the old fabric and has some nap (which I accidentally cut the wrong direction on my first attempt). 

We pulled out the staples on the first chair (which was a painful process).  I used that fabric as a template, but the remaining chairs I simply covered over the existing fabric.  It's a little bulkier, but not much. 


Then there's the stool that goes with the sewing cabinet I've been refinishing.  It desperately needs some new fabric, too.  Maybe the purple if there's enough left over... otherwise I have some denim that might look nice.

I've started to pull out the staples.  The padding is interesting - looks like horse hair and wool?  I'm hoping it won't all fall apart once I get the fabric off.



9 comments :

  1. I'm sure you'll fix them up very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those chairs are really pretty wood - I can see why they caught your eye! The new purple upholstery looks great, too. You're on a roll with your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say dark purple is always the right choice! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How handy you folks are to get this job done! Horse hair must mean that this stool is old, would it I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job. The chairs are beautiful! You found a good freebie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on the chairs. I've never done any upholstering. The chairs look to be in very good shape. What a bonus you got them free. Good luck with your projects.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best tool I've ever used for pulling small staples is a tiny woodworking "cat's paw" crowbar, maybe 7 inches long, bought ages ago. I think the only upholstery job I've ever attempted was to put another layer of fabric over a Singer sewing stool, using a remnant of fabric I bought to have a platform rocker reupholstered professionally. Both are still going strong after decades. One of those lucky fabric choices that never stops being pleasing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meant to say, you did a MUCH better job on your chairs - they look perfect! - unlike my half-baked addition of an extra layer of fabric. There may have been duct tape involved.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************