Sunday, November 26, 2023

I’m Sewing Again

No sewing since late October for one thing or another.  I finally had time the day before Thanksgiving and decided to take the plunge on the "new" machine.  It's so quiet!  Rob says it sounds like running water from the other room.

I did some stitch-in-the-ditch to tack the layers down.  I wasn't sure how much trouble I'd have with free motion quilting, since it's thick batting.  I had a lot of skipped stitches until I figured out my hopping foot wasn't holding the fabric tight enough.  I swapped to the hopping ruler foot which helped (but it doesn't lift much, so I'm dealing with bunched fabric).  

I've ordered a new foot, hopefully with a stronger spring.  We'll see if that helps.  I'm impatient, though, so I've been plowing ahead with the ruler foot.  The whole mat is an experiment - the quilting sloppiness goes against my usual precision, but I'm more curious how it all turns out than for it to be my best.  I'd rather have skippy free motion stitching than consistent straight line quilting.

I brought a bag of wool fabric from my mother's to Swanson's Fabric yesterday.  For a donation they let you browse through the donation's room with a little basket; whatever you fill the basket with is free.  Oh, boy!  I snagged over five yards of fabric (which I do. not. need.), two rulers, a frame for hand quilting, some buttons, a bit of leather, thread... and a free motion quilting foot!  I made the further "mistake" of poking around and brought home another four yards of fabric (that I also do. not. need.). 

The new foot seems to be working better!  I'm still struggling with the mat's thickness - but that's simply the nature of the project.  Less skipping, so that's a huge plus.  


5 comments :

  1. Glad you're sewing again and enjoying your new machine. Way to go on getting so many goodies for free, you must have felt like you hit the lottery. Lovin the colors I see in your quilt and look forward to seeing it progress.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got a little sewing time in and are making progress on your mat! That's amazing to bring donation fabric to a place and go home with all kinds of goodies. You might not need it, but I bet you'll figure out a way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Browsing a donation room! That is fantastic.
    Isn't there an adjustment feature when the foot doesn't have enough pressure?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I' m happy you are back stitching, Sally. You are so good to do machine quilting...I don't like to do that because I can't seem to keep my stitches even. What a great spot that is to have a donation center where you can do a little shop. It is irresistible, isn't it...we always find something that catches our eye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to stop visiting Swanson's website because I always found something I wanted to buy. Only the shipping cost kept me from doing something silly ;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************