Sunday, November 12, 2023

A Shiny Finish (Almost)

Oh, look!  This is my new sewing machine cabinet that I've spent the last couple of weeks refinishing.  I can't believe how well it turned out.

The story started mid-October when I picked up a Singer 201 with cabinet I found on nextdoor.  I was only interested in the sewing machine and had intended to pass the table along.  Then I discovered the machine's pedal was built into the cabinet.  I didn't realize from the posting that it included a stool as well.  Soon after I got it home, I started imagining using the storage space in the stool and drawers.  I didn't want to split up the machine and its cabinet.  So now I wasn't just spiffing up a sewing machine - I was taking on a major wood refinishing project.

I started working on the cabinet two weeks ago.  What a difference sanding, stain and polyurethane makes!  I finished the last bit of sanding and reupholstered the stool on Friday.  Rob replaced the power cord and wired the sewing machine all back together.  Only one piece was incomplete:  the belt.  The replacement I bought didn't fit.  I've got a new one on order. So close!  It's in working order, so I'm happy.

Getting the Singer running was the easy bit.  A good cleaning and oiling, taking apart the lamp and replacing the cracked belt and frayed power cord was a few hours of work over a couple of days.  The cabinet took a lot more work and energy.  


I only had a few "before" photos with the scraped and peeling top.  However, the only photo of the stool is after I refinished the sides, before I replaced the fabric.  Pay no attention to the Singer accessories in lower right - check out the surface they're on.  That was the top of the cabinet!

Here's another look as I started to remove the leaves.  The whole top was in that condition.  The veneer was thick enough to sand and all that damage was close to the surface.  I quickly sanded it down to bare wood.  Can you believe something in that condition could end up looking like my finished result?  I was lucky that the wood stain I bought matched the rest of the cabinet so well.  The wood grain is so pretty, and continues across the entire top.  And it's so smooth.  Lovely!

Sanding the inside surfaces resulted in some bare wood.  For whatever reason, the finish was damaged on the parts of the leaves that covered the sewing machine opening.  That came right off. 

Staining helped blend it all in, although the damaged areas were still visible.  They started to disappear after I applied several layers of polyurethane.  By the time I was done I had to double check old photos for which sides the leaves attached because I couldn't see the old damage.


Oh, that shine!  So smooth.  I'll admire it before I start nicking it with pins and needles.  New fabric on the stool looks nice, too.  The cushion pulls off, and offers more storage. 

I hadn't worked with gloss polyurethane before.  The sides, the drawers and the stool only had a few layers - I stopped as soon as soon the wood stopped soaking it in.  So those have a semi-gloss finish.  The top took several more coats to catch up.  I wanted more of a gloss finish on the working surfaces.  It has quite a shine now!  I'll find out how durable my work is once I start sewing.

That cabinet is heavy, even empty!  Way, way more than my old little table.  Moving it between rooms was always a two-person job, even without the leaves.  Those drawers are heavy solid wood.  I'll need help whenever I want to move it to free motion quilt.  It will stay where it is for at least a little while.


3 comments :

  1. Bravo! It is a beauty!
    You put a lot of work into that machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out beautifully, Sally! Way to go! And now you have a pretty new piece of furniture as well as a sewing machine table and new-to-you sewing machine, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful finish! You have a new treasure.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************