Saturday, September 12, 2026

Shift in Direction

My inkblot layout has been on the wall for months (see photo below).  I bought green fabric for the background over a month ago.  Next step was to start cutting and sewing.  So imagine my surprise after cutting a few pieces I stopped.  

Nope.  This wasn't working.

First of all, there wasn't enough space to put in all the greens I wanted.  As I played with spacing I found if the inkblot blocks got too close together the uniqueness of the blocks disappear.  Hmm... maybe they should be even farther apart?  More space would also allow for more green.

I've had chandelier quilts on my bucket list of quilts to make.  I spent the evening recalculating block sizes, layout and yardage.  This layout adds lots of space between the blocks.  Suddenly this wall hanging becomes a throw quilt.  Sure - I can go with that.
 

Luckily, I have enough green fabric to cover the difference between what I bought for this quilt and some other yardage on hand.  This gives me a chance to use four (or possibly five) greens from light to medium.  I'm sure that will look interesting.  I could do the colors in columns, or maybe meander it from one corner of the quilt to the other.  I'll have to play with that. 

I made two different blocks based on the size of the inkblot squares (5½" or 4").  I stitched together two test blocks to make sure my measurements were correct.  At this point I can start cutting pieces and putting them on the board. 

 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************