Sunday, January 1, 2012

Contra Dancing

Growing up in the Midwest, I had the usual run-ins with square dancing. I went to my first contra dance during a college event.  I immediately fell in love with it, but had no idea that it was something I could go to regularly in the area.  Oh, if I had only known there were dances so close to me!

Once I started attending the Scout House dance regularly, I found dances all over.  The Rehoboth dance has been my "home" dance since 2004. I also regularly go to the Scout House and the dance at  Brown. There's special events, like NEFFA, the Fall Ball and Snow Ball in Peterborough, NH.

For those of you who have never heard of contra dancing, it is set dancing (similar, but not like, squares) that is called (dancers are told what to do) and is usually accompanied by live music.

My favorite definition of contra dancing can be found on: What Is Contra Dance?

And, of course, Wikipedia has a a more clinical description:  Contra dance - Wikipedia

The dance community is wonderfully diverse.  I've tried some other dances that I've heard about through contra dancers:  Mostly Waltzes, English dance, and a Cotillion and Fezziwig's Ball, which feature dances from over a century ago.

Contra dancing is all over. And I dare you to find a nicer group of people. Its a fun, social, community activity. Try it out!


No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************