Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Monkey Bread for Two

I made Gorilla Bread for Breakfast Club a few months ago, and had left a small bit of it at home for Rob (because I get in trouble if I bring all of the goodies to work).  He began to pester me inquire when I'd make it again, just for us.  So I experimented scaling down a basic monkey bread recipe for two people.  The ingredients are easy enough, but it took me several tries to find a pan that would work well in our toaster oven.  My mini loaf pan was too tall; the top got burned by the upper element and there was a raw spot in the middle.  The mini pie plate was too shallow, and I ended up with burnt sugar all over the bottom of the toaster oven.  Turns out the little fish-dish was just the right size.  (Now I feel like I'm telling the tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.)  Even though it took three attempts to find a dish that worked, neither one of us had too much trouble disposing of my "failures".

The end result:

Monkey Bread for Two

1 can of buttermilk biscuits (7.5 oz 10 count)
2 tablespoons sugar
heaping 1/4  teaspoon cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons chopped nuts
2-3 tablespoons raisins
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter (generous)

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Lightly grease a small pan - a fish-dish ended up as my favorite, but any 2-3 cup capacity baking pan will do.

Cut each of the biscuits into quarters.  Put the 2 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon in a plastic bag and add the biscuit pieces.  Shake until well coated.  Layer biscuit pieces in the pan along with the raisins and nuts (I put the raisins and nuts into the bag and unceremoniously dump the whole thing in the pan).

Melt butter and brown sugar together.  Pour over biscuit pieces.  Bake for 25-28 minutes.  Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before turning over onto a plate.  Or do as we do, and pull the pieces straight from the pan!


No comments :

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************