Thursday, July 25, 2019

I Like Thursday: A Few Days Off


Busy, crazy week, then a few days off.  Family Weekend was last weekend.  Rob and Mabel came with me to the Cape - I can't tell you how happy that made me.  I would have worried about them all weekend I'd left them with a chaotic house.  I was lucky, too, that the accommodations could handle an extra person and a guinea pig.

We survived the heat and the horseflies to have our traditional cookout at Nauset Light. 


It was good to hang out with my sister.  Still getting the hang of this selfie business.

Because of the heat and the lack of air conditioning, it ended up being a lazy weekend.  A great excuse to do nothing but hang out and catch up with family.




We passed this float on Monday - a unicorn with wings.  It was huge - I bet a half-dozen people could fit on that.  The photo doesn't do it justice.




I'm used to seeing shark signs on the ocean side but this one is at our beach.  Great whites have been in the bay as nearby as Wellfleet.  That's crazy.

The trip home on Tuesday was long and arduous.  Mabel's foot had swelled over the weekend and I ran out of antibiotic unexpectedly.  We scheduled a trip to the vet on our way home.  We left the cottage with plenty of time to make our 12:30 appointment.

And then everything went wrong.

It started with a flat tire in Barnstable.  In the rain.  I had to reschedule the vet.  We spent the entire day on the road.

But...

I like that teamed up together Rob and I got the lug nuts off the tire.

I like that Rob finished changing the tire before it started POURING out.  We drove through the terrible weather that later spawned a tornado in Yarmouth.  I really like that we missed the tornado.  And that we didn't get into an accident with the awful visibility.

I like that we found a AAA shop that could fix the tire so we didn't have to drive all the way home on a donut.  Three cheers for Junior's Automotive!  Not only was the proprietor a pleasure to deal with and immediately identified the problem, he suggested we grab some food across the street at Dave's Diner as he patched the tire.  The diner was packed with happy people and the burgers were delicious.  Best yet, we returned to a car ready to resume our trip.

The rest of the trip included a layover at the Walpole Library (they allowed Mabel to come in with us, too) and a rescheduled appointment with the vet (more on that in later post) and somehow missing rush hour traffic to return home.  Whew.  It was so nice, with so many things to go wrong, that we continually ran into helpful and friendly people.  It made such a difference.

An odd set of likes.  Check other good things happening at Not Afraid of Color's I Like Thursday.


9 comments :

  1. What a great family photo. So glad you got help along the way. Vehicle fails can be scary. mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your family weekend was fun, inspite of heat and horseflies and great white sharks, yikes! But any chance to be by the water (and with family) sounds wonderful to me! I'm glad to hear, too, that you encountered kind and helpful people on the way home, and hope Mabel's doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sally! Helpful and friendly people definitely make an experience excellent and can almost change something from being a downer to an uplifting and glad-it-happened time. Now you're able to pass on those helpful and friendly businesses so we may enjoy them as well one day. I hope Mabel's foot is better now? I love the photo of all of you in your red t-shirts. Looks like fun was had by all! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post, Sally, the ups and the downs. Just like life itself...bad and then good and the odd silver lining as well. I really hope little Mabel is doing better. What the heck is happening to that foot?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew, flat tire AND crazy weather :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a day! I'm REALLY like that you missed the tornado!
    Hope there will be a good report on Mabel - fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful getaway with your family! Hope Mabel is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you missed the tornadoes on the Cape. I do hope Mabel is feeling better now. Even though you had a flat tire, it looked like you had an overall good time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do I like? I like the fact that you made lemonade from lemons! What a positive spin on a challenging set of circumstances! And thank God for a vet that could accommodate changes on short notice! By the way, love the selfie - the goofier, the better, I think!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************