Thursday, July 7, 2022

I Like Thursday: A Long Weekend

It was a long weekend... and not all in a good way.  <sigh>  But even as I sit here thinking holy @#$% what a week, there were some good things to share with LeeAnna's I Like Thursday.  (Thanks LeeAnna!)

Get a load of the artwork on this car.  At first I thought it was paint, but as I got closer, it looked like duct tape.  How fun is that?

We had a guy stopped by to pick up a few big old desktop computers that we wanted to recycle.  They were all at least two decades old.  He was pretty chuffed by his luck and was surprised we didn't have more people interested in them.  I was happy to have them gone to where they might be useful.

The kitchen:  I had planned to donate the old cabinets and asked on nextdoor what organization would take them.  I was floored by the requests for some or all of the cabinets so I offered them to whoever would take them.  A couple swooped in and loaded the whole set in the back of their pickup truck in two loads.  This is a photo of the final (and largest) load.  Impressive.  I was so focused on getting the cabinets out of the garage I didn't think of asking for money (they're nice cabinets) until after they were long gone.  Right now we need all the positive kitchen karma we can get.  The woman literally jumped up and down for joy when they were all loaded up.  And that made me so happy.  Totally worth it.


As for the rest of it?  This cartoon Rob sent me sums it up.  We continue our streak of stuff going weirdly wrong; no one thing is awful, but it's been a bad case of hiccups.  A few problems have been absurd enough to laugh about.  And some of the delays are adding weeks to the project.  Gah.

Enough of that... back to my likes...


Leverett pond is off limits while being treated for invasive plants, so I tried out Lake Wyola this weekend.  It's a short drive and I found out that parking at the boat ramp is free.  Yay!  I was told there are eagles nesting there, but I didn't see them.  I did catch the last bit of a greased watermelon contest.  I could hear the crowd as the older kids tried to grab the watermelon out of the water and drag it to the beach.  I paddled close enough to watch the group of 3-5 year olds - it took a team of three kids to grab hold and drag it to shore.  The announcer had said the watermelon was bigger than some of the contestants! 

The other side of the lake had, at some point in the past, flooded a treed area.  There were several tree stumps with exposed roots just under the surface of the water.  I tried to get a photo of this one - the roots reminded me of Celtic knots.  It was quite beautiful.


Crummy photo through the screen, but a fun visit:  I had a family of turkeys hang out right under my office window for at least an hour.  The babies all peeped - I didn't know little turkeys sounded like that.  And the adults would chirp at the kids from time to time.  It was quite pleasant to listen to.

Some fun videos this week.  First up - an interview with Rowan Atkinson.  I'm always so impressed with his ability for physical humor.

This other video is a 50 year celebration with some of the kids from The Sound of Music.  It may be time to re-watch that movie.

Ooh - and I just found out Brokenwood has a new season!  Woot!  (And I need to find time to catch the latest of The Umbrella Academy.)

So see?  Not all is bad.  


5 comments :

  1. Spot on cartoon!
    What a treat to see turkey babies, poults, weird name. Cabinets that nice is a major giveaway find. Habitat for Humanity, I've heard they can help remove cabinets, furniture, and such, great folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool decals on the car. Since all babies are cute, I'd say those little gobblers must have been as well. Sounds like a nice kayak trip and free boat launch to boot. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, a new season of Brokenwood! We love that show - do you know when it starts? The cartoon about cycles of hope and dread is so true - I am there, too. Glad you got rid of the old cabinets. Hope the kitchen work is progressing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to have your things taken off with such happiness I think. Good karma there. That is a great cartoon...totally describes so many of life's adventures for sure.
    I didn't know they were making any more Brokenwood...good news. I imagine kayaking to be good exercise too which is an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a group of turkeys in our neighborhood but I've never seen any babies. So glad you could recycle your kitchen cabinets. I hate throwing good stuff out.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************