Something Old, Something New that I had a lot of material from my cousin's childhood dresses. I wanted to use it all. So when I finished the pair of wall hangings, I decided to make two more quilts: one for my cousin's mother and the other for my aunt who had sewn the dresses.
I normally start with a pattern then get the material. These quilts were the opposite. I browsed through tons of scrappy quilt photos and picked whatever inspired me with the dress material. My first choice for this quilt didn't feel right (I hated it!) and I scrapped it after a test block. I'm keeping it for quilting practice (I'm sure someone will love it).
Thank goodness my next attempt was more successful. I looked for a pattern that would use smaller pieces than the wedding quilts. I found a simple black-and-white sketch (which I can't find now no matter how much I google!) of a tiled block. I adapted it so that all of the pieces were no larger than 2" wide and 2 to 4" long. I even added some of the dreaded velvet, without as much swearing and seam ripping.
I quilted with a rayon multi-colored thread on top and plain white in the bobbin. I had to adjust the tension a few times to keep the rayon from splitting, but I eventually got the hang of it. The thread was darker on the spool than on the quilt, which surprised me. The end results are pretty cool. I like how it shines. I loved how the back turned out, too! Now I understand how people get into whole-cloth quilting. While I had the quilt, I kept flipping it back and forth, because I really liked both sides.
I named it Hand Me Downs; it seemed appropriate. My aunt was so surprised when it arrived! It's been so hard to keep all these wall hangings secret while I worked on them. It's exciting to finally show off my last month's worth of work.