Friday, December 11, 2015

Apple Sausage Pie

This is one of those recipes that's more of a guideline than true step-by-step instructions.  The original version used breakfast sausage and instructions to mix everything together before spreading it in the crust.  I religiously followed this recipe for years before discovering I liked it better with hot Italian sausage.  I improved it again by layering the sausage and apples instead of mixing them (less mess!  even distribution!).  Sausage first, then apples, or occasionally vice versa.  Rob has modified it, too, by drizzling some maple syrup over his serving.

The last time I made this, I split it into three ready-to-bake containers rather than a single pie plate (it freezes really well to be baked later).  I skipped the bottom crust, opting use it all on top.  I loved all that crispy cheese crumble but there was a lot of liquid on the bottom.  Next time I'll put at least a little crust on the bottom.


Apple Sausage Pie

1¼ cups grated cheddar
1¼ cups flour
½ cup shortening
2 Tbls cold water

1 lb sausage, casings removed
4½ cups peeled and sliced apples
1 small onion, chopped fine
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sage
½ tsp cinnamon
dash of pepper
1 Tbls lemon juice

Cut together first three ingredients for the crust and topping.  Add water.  Save ¾ cup for top.  Press into 10” pie pan.

Brown sausage in a skillet, breaking it apart until cooked through.  Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, mix together apples, onion, sugar, spices and lemon juice.

Spread the browned sausage over crust.  Then spread the apple mixture over the sausage.  Top with reserved cheddar topping.  Bake at 375F covered with foil for 30 minutes, then an additional 20-30 minutes without foil.

1 comment :

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************