Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Anticipation

Laylla on Monday - she's even bigger now

Foster guinea pig Laylla and I are in a race to see who will lose their mind first.  It's a pretty close thing; I fully expected Laylla to give birth on Monday and I'm still waiting.  Meanwhile, she's a needy, uncomfortable piggy.  She rushes to the side of the cage any time I pass by, constantly begging for treats and accepting being patted.  She's so blobby when she rests, but I can't get a good photo because she jumps up as soon as I approach.  She is wound up and restless and won't sit in one place for long.  She's drinking so much water - which I guess is good for flushing those kidneys!  Oof.

Rob tells me a watched pig doesn't pop... but she has to at some point!  I read that you can hear the unborn pups grind their teeth a week or so before delivery.  You can!  Sounded like a little ticking timer.  Wild.

I know there's at least two pups, but now I'm thinking there's more than that.  I'd love to weigh her to see how much she's gained, however she does not want to be picked up, and doing so would stress her out and possibly injure her or the pups.  Laylla is still lightning fast and agile even carrying that unwieldy bulk.

When she stretches out, you can see how narrow her shoulders are to the lower half of her body.  And when she walks, there's this tiny little butt on the end of that huge belly.  

It's gotta be soon, but those pups are taking their own sweet time.  We will all be happier when Laylla delivers.

 

 

4 comments :

  1. Sounds like quite a time at your house! Laylla does look like she would be very uncomfortable. Maybe today will be the day! 🤞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please, tell Laylla I think Saturday is a good day to crank those kids out. Friday even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "a watched pig never pops" ... lol ... may Laylla pop soon and may all be well with her and her little piggies ... <3 Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sally! Aww, come on Laylla. Those pups do what they want, I guess. Maybe more walking would help like it does other new mommies?! We're all cheering you both on! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and I strive to reply by email (if you're not set to no-reply).
**************************************************************************